Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Allergy or Worms

We have a 6 month old Boxer pup. He has been scratching his chin for days now? Could this be an allergy?
And he has also been licking his butt and hind quarters for a few days? Dakota runs in cicrles after his tail only to fall and lick and nibble away. Cna he have worms? He was wormed at three months.

Licking the bottom usually means that the dog has a problem with his anal glands. The glands normally secrete a substance every time your dog poops. Sometimes this fails to happen and the glands get overly full or impacted. If you suspect this, you can see your vet or groomer to express the glands.

The chin scratching COULD be an allergy. I suggest that you keep an eye on it and take preventative measures if it does not clear up on its own soon. This might include using an antihistamine or steroids to control the itch.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX followed up with the groomer AND I WILL KEEP A WATCH ON HIS ICTHY CHIN! Customer
Your pup may have a case of puppy acne on his chin. Its common in Boxers and other breeds. You can clean the area a couple of times a day with 3% peroxide or you can use betadine solution to see if that clears it up. If it doesn't get better he may need antibiotics from the vet to get rid of it.
If you see any pimples on his chin do not pop them as that makes this problem spread. Just keep the area disinfected to help clear this up.
You can also try neosporin ointment or triple antibiotic ointment on the itchy spots on his chin to see if that helps clear them up. I'd disinfect first and then put the ointment on.
If that doesn't work then bring him to the vet to get help in clearing the problem up.
Hope this helps you!