Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Pet Owner/People Counselor
Experience:  I love animals of all kinds -- not an animal expert -- good at finding relevant resources & info.
14607

hard time breathing

Customer Question

it is like asthma, with a lot of flem. His blood work came back excellent. He has lost his appetite.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Is this a cat or a dog or some other pet?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: this is a 15 year old bison dog.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This could be kennel cough which is a viral disease caught from other dogs.
You can try heating up the food a bit to make it smell better to him while he is having upper respiratory problems.
You can try some baby food chicken and put it right on his tongue.
There are also things you can get at the pet supply store such as NutriCal and VitaStat and Dyne which are supplements that can keep a dog going while it won't eat. You put it right in their mouths and its high calorie and gives the dog energy etc.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
This is not kennel cough. Simon(bichon)has never been in a kennel. He has asthma. I want to know how to treat it. Should he be put on a steriod, nose sprays?????
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Kennel cough is just the name of the disease because its commonly picked up there. Dogs can get it from other dogs or from someone who just handled a sick dog that has it or just from a dog coughing or sneezing as they pass on a street. Its a lot like a common cold that way.
You can read about it here
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html

Asthma is not as likely in dogs as it is in cats and isn't common in either species but it potentially could be the problem.
From this site
http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/asthma.html
"To diagnose asthma, it is necessary to perform an X-ray of the chest and perform additional tests to rule out other respiratory problems. These may include heartworm tests, blood counts and chemistries, and bronchial lavage. Once a diagnosis of allergic bronchitis has been made, treatment often consists of steroids, antihistamines, bronchodilators, perhaps antibiotics or a combination of these drugs. In severe attacks, oxygen therapy may be necessary. "

I was suspicious about kennel cough as you said the dog had recently been to the vet and had bloodwork done. That should have ruled out heartworm disease for one possible problem but may also have exposed your pet to the virus from some other dog that was in the vet office.
If this came on suddenly with no early signs then a disease seems likely to me.

If he does have asthma and you smoke, use perfumes in the home, or scented candles etc you may find he is better if not exposed to those things.

Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
Generally speaking, the most helpful and complete answers result from questions providing clear and complete information.

To be fair, your original question stated: 'it is like asthma' -- not
-- that your dog had asthma. Also, it is my understanding that it
is possible for dogs to contract kennel cough, without having been in a
kennel.

Your original question also mentioned nothing about: 'wanting to know how to treat your dog's condition'.

Some additional information will help Nancy, and/or other Specialists, to provide you with more helpful answers.

Has a Vet diagnosed your dog with asthma? If so, when?

Has your dog been to a Vet regarding the current symptoms? If so,
what, if any, tests or diagnostics have been done? What were the
results? What, if any, diagnosis was given? What, if any,
treatment was recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Steve