Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

chihuahua: really runny eyes..than normal..eye drops..diet suggestions

Customer Question

my dog is a chihuahua she is small, and very close to the ground. but she is getting really runny eyes and they seem to be making more of a runny mess on her face than normal. are there perhaps alergy eye drops or diet suggestions you can help me with??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This is pretty common, especially in these little dogs.

I would talk with the vet about a different low allergy diet, one that will have the least reaction. Rabbit and potato work well and you can get it at your local vet's office or maybe even pet smart.

You should also get her on a flea preventative if she is not already. Even if you don't see fleas, it only takes one to get the cycle started. Some dogs are highly allergic to flea bites.

I would also use a prescribed dose of benadryl, especially during allergy season. My vet recommends 1 mg per lb of body weight. Talk with your vet about this.

Keep in mind that dogs can have allergies to pollen, dust and other household allergens so you should evaluate your home and try to make it as allergy free as you possibly can for her.

While you are there, you should also speak with the vet about a supplement that has omega three fatty acids. Good skin starts from the inside out and this can be very beneficial.

Let me know if you still have specific questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: THIS REALLY DOESNT HELP THE SITUATION. MY CHIHUAHUA HAS A PRETTY NATURAL AND ADDITIVE FREE DIET BASED ON ALOT OF VEGGIES AND OMEGA-3'S. I AM NOT POSS IT IS ALLERGIES AND IT ISNT FLEAS SINCE SHE HAS BEEN ON THE 6-MONTH PROTECTION STUFF THAT YOU PUT ON THE BACK OF HER NECK. AND IF I WANTED TO PAY FOR A VET FOR THIS MINOR THING I WOULDNT BE PAYING YOU FOR A VAGUEA ANSWER ONLINE. OF COURSE I KNOW TO CHECK WITH THE VET BUT IT SEEMS LIKE A COMMON THING WITH CHIHUAHUAS SO I WAS WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY HOLISTIC APPRROACHES I COULD BE RECOMENDED?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
What kind of flea prevention are you using that lasts 6 months?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am sorry that my answer seemed vague. Let's see if I can do a little better!

If it was my dog, I would ask about a clogged tear duct or other malady that might be the cause.

Most tearing problems can be cleared up with simple drug therapy.

Tetracycline is the drug of choice for this common tear problem with the breed and is readily available for an adult dog from your veterinarian, (it cannot be given to puppies ao pregnant bitches as it will stain juvienile teeth).

Let me know if you still have specific comments or questions. I would be happy to help more!