NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

fleas

Customer Question

I think I have cat fleas breeding and living on me. Is this possible? I do not have a cat but one had taken up in the winter in my garage and left when I returned home ( a friend left the door open). I also had a bird's nest disturbed in my office and had problem with carpet beetles, bed bugs, etc. I think the only thing I have left are the fleas. I itch, have found larvae, and have bites on my back and legs.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Might be fleas or if you were traveling you may have brought home a human parasite such as bed bugs.
You can bomb your home with a flea bomb or spray the home with products such as Zodiac Fleatrol Carpet or Premise spray which has an Insect Growth Regulator in it. Fleatrol Premise Spray contains a combination of permethrin to kill adult and pre-adult fleas and Precor Insect Growth Regulator to stop flea eggs and larvae from developing into biting fleas for 210 days. Spray can be applied to rooms, upholstery, pet bedding, drapes and dogs (do not use on cats). Treats 2,000 square feet.
You may need an exterminator's help if the problem is bed bugs and you may have to throw away your mattress if that is the problem.
You can read about bed bugs here
http://www.pestproducts.com/bedbug.htm
I recently read about people coming home from a cruise and having bed bugs come home with them in their clothing and suitcases!
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: These critters hop like a flea but appear to be breeding on me. I had bed bugs (did do a trip)but had exterminator and now no signs. Think they came from the bird nest that was disturbed. So how do I get rid of the larvae and pests that are on me, in my hair etc.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
At any drugstore you can find the meds to kill lice on humans - that is what I'd try first. However be aware that few fleas live on the host for the entire life cycle - they hop off lay eggs, hatch larvae etc off the host and then when they get to biting stages they hop back on a host so premise treatment may be advisable also. Kwell is one med I know of but there are more - anything that can handle head lice or 'crabs' should be able to cope with the critters that are finding you a congenial host.
You may find an antihistamine such as Benadryl will help you with the itching.
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: i had another answer but can not retrieve it?

What is up with that?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Might be someone answered and then deleted their answer so you got a notification but the message was gone when you looked.