NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

worried

My rottweiller Sadie has not been eating!We took her to the vet, which she was do for her shots.Got exam but Dr. could not look down throat. Gave med. Antib,and a antihistamine, was on for one week, seem to be doing better. It's been about to weeks now and she is not eating again! I noticed her throwing up again, white & foamy. We tried a different food the vet recommened thought that was the problem. She just won't touch any of her food! All thought she very hungery by now, she will eat her dog treats and any food she gets from the kids and seemes to be fine!   HELP! I'm getting pretty worried. Also I did call and talked to the Dr. he want's use to bring her in and do exray and scope or put her back on med. Her blood work came back fine. We just can't afford a large bill again. We have to save.

Thank you

Antoinette
Foamy vomit can be a sign of incipient bloat.
You can try some simethecone (GasX one regular strength tab) if that helps her, then talk about a bloat safe diet, and feeding schedule,for your dog with your vet as you may need to change her diet to something more easily digested.
You can read about bloat here
www.canismajor.com/dog/bloat.html
You might also want to think about if there are any missing items such as small toys (kids or hers) bones, rawhides that could be in her stomach but not passing through.
You can read about that here
http://www.thepetcenter.com/xra/ball.html
This might also be signs of pancreatitis if she does this after getting a fatty treat.
You can read about that here
www.2ndchance.info/pancreatitis.htm
again a diet change can help avoid this.
Check with the kids and see what they may have given her or if they saw her swallow a toy. A beanie baby in the stomach might be the problem!
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: ng to do with it. She is a very good dog. She is 9yrs old and does not touch any of the kids things and has never chewed on anything that wasn't ok by us! We don't even give her rawhide.

Thank you

Antoinette
You are welcome - at that age I would worry about bloat.You can try the simethecone and see if it works to make her feel better.
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The first part of my response got cut off somehow.Anyway she ate what I believe was a baby bird that she found in the back yard. It was to late to stop her because just part of the head was left "yuk". Could this have any affect?
Yep that could do it if the bird was infected with coccidia, or if it was dead long enough to be spoiled food, or if the pointy beak or feathers are irritating her stomach for sure that would cause some upset.
The simethecone is pretty safe stuff. What it does is break up any big gas bubbles into smaller ones that can pass through the system.
If you suspect it was a very dead baby bird she ate then you might want to see if some pepto bismal will make her feel better. Dose is 1 teaspoonful orally per 10 pounds of body weight
repeated every 8-12 hours as needed. Or as she is probably a big girl dose about the same for the same size child.
Much better to have 'bad food' gastroenteritis than to have bloat!
If you give her pepto don't forget it will turn her poop dark. :)
You can do some supportive stuff like giving pedialyte and feeding a bland diet too
Swap the water bowl over to plain pedialyte or a mix of 1 liter of water with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt - helps keep them hydrated,
encourages them to drink more and gives them some energy. The rise and then drop of blood sugar from drinking this can also stimulate appetite.

Bland diet - boil chicken or hamburger and skim off all fat mix in proportions 1/3 meat to 2/3 starch such as cooked rice or potato for feeding for a couple of meals until the dog is better.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Would a rolaid or tums be okay for now til we get to store?

Thank you so much!

Antoinette
Yes you can give her one of those to see if it helps her feel better.
Usually if its a 'I ate something wrong' situation the dog is better when the item passes all the way through if it wasn't totally vomited up. But calming the acid in her tummy with tums etc might help for a bit.
If she throws it up try her on some of the water mix or pedialyte and wait a bit before trying the pepto - remember pepto comes back pink too and keep her on linoleum until you are sure it settled ok!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I'm sorry, what is linoleum?
Ha! my age is showing! - that would be a vinyl floor or tile - idea I meant to pass along was a surface easy to clean up :) and not administering meds to your dog on a surface like a rug. In the olden days when I was young people had linoleum flooring in places like the kitchen as it was easy to clean!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Okay, Ha! Ha! just wasn't sure, again Thank you!

Antoinette
You are welcome and no problem - you should have seen me try to explain what a record was to my little niece who only knows CD's and DVDs!