NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

akita: 104 respitory 36..month old..with parvo 3 days into it..signs

Customer Question

dog bpm 104 respitory 36 per minute? is this vitals for 4 month old akita with parvo 3 days into it.with all the signs and confirmed
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Heart rate - 180 beats a minute for puppies

60-160 beats per minute for most adult dogs
180 beats a minute for toy breeds
Respiration -10 to 30
The normal respiratory rate for dogs is 16 to 20 breaths per minute. The normal heartrate is 70 to 160 bpm. Large dogs tend to have slower heart rates so your dog should be in the 70 to 120 bpm range. This varies according to the cardiovascular fitness of the dog, too. The more active the dog is the slower its resting heartrate will be.
If your vet has not read about using Tamiflu to treat parvo you might want to talk to him about it.
You can read about it here
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_oseltamivir.html
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I need to know what symptoms or vitals I need to identify for when he is getting well or fading out on me, he seems stuck in the middle at this point,
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: again thank you for your quick reply, I am still in need of symptoms and vitals to watch for such as if his resp is low or to high , or his heart rate is to low or to high , he is stuck in the middle I dont know if he is pulling thru or going to fade????? please help ,
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Now you know the norms you can check that against what you are seeing. If you are taking his temp then normal is 101-102 degrees farenheight.
If he stops eating or drinking or seems lethargic and non responsive those would be serious negative signs. I would also keep an eye on his gums or tongue for signs of shock which would include a slow refill rate (you press on a pink area and it should come right back to pink again - check your own fingernail to see how quickly this happens usually) or a white or bluish tinge to the normally pink tongue or gum area is a concern for that.
If you are doing subcutaneous fluids at home that may help.
If he can eat and drink on his own and if the bloody diarrhea ceases you are doing well.
Your vet should have put him on antibiotics to combat secondary infections.
Other symptoms to watch for Gelatin-like stool with some blood. Vomiting with bile and foam.
I would say that 'in the middle' is better than declining.
Keep up the supportive care and keep in contact with your vet.
Do read up on the tamiflu treatment - its saving a lot of dogs.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you so much, this gives me a clearer picture of symptoms to watch for, I think he is a little bit better than I thought. I really appriciate your inpute, have been online since yesterday looking for asnwers just so happen to stumble upon this web sight an hour ago, and I finaly feel like I have better direction and know what more to expect while trying to keep littleCustomeralive, the vets we called we not even this helpful. even after they confirmed he had cought parvo. there only intrest was a 1500 cost with no gaurentee
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thank you very much open to all inputs i am sitting withCustomerand checking all replys
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for your accepts!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hello again Nancy

I am sad to say Sir Duncan didnt make it, he passed this morning at the aninmal hospital, I really did appriciate your help yesterday, we did all we could do and followed your advice as well, I know he is in puppy heaven now and will be missed something terriable, he brought to home wonderful memories and lots of love and joy. I hope they find a cure some day for parvo.
Kind regards
Holly
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear this - the best cure for this disease like so many others is prevention - those 3 or 4 sets of shots for a puppy are just so all important. Tamiflu though is showing great promise as a treatment for pups that do get the disease - just all the vets don't really know about it as yet.
Please know that you need to bleach areas he used to potty - proportions 1 bleach to 25 water should do it for outdoor areas. And any place he used in the house if they can be cleaned with bleach should be.
You really shouldn't bring in another pup until its had all its shots so a young adult that has been fully immunized might be a better bet if you decide to get another dog. I think they suggest you wait 6 months before getting another puppy into the same area.
http://www.washingtonakitagroup.com/ is an Akita rescue group in your general area if another Akita is in your thoughts for the future.
My deepest condolences on your loss! I know you worked hard to do care for him.