NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

swollen nose

Customer Question

my dogs nose is swollen after running into the wall playing yesterday. It stopped bleeding, but the swelling is still there. It seems to really hurt. It there something I can give him? I have pain pills and alive... can I break a small sliver off for his pain? He is 2 and a boston terrier.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You do not want to give any over the counter med for pain as many are toxic to dogs including the Aleve medication. Aspirin can be used in dogs but the problem is here you have a bleeding issue and Aspirin can make that much worse so you can't use it in this type of situation.
You can try a cold compress to see if that helps him - a damp cold towel might help relieve pain but don't block his breathing (hard in a Boston I know) when you apply it. You can also see if letting him have an icecube to lick makes him feel better in case the pain is in his mouth.
You may also want to check in his mouth to make sure there are no broken teeth.
He could have broken a bone in the nasal passage or upper palate area which will mean he might need help to resolve the problem.
If he is eating and drinking OK you may be able to wait until tomorrow to see a vet. If he is in so much pain and not eating or drinking then you may want to go to an emergency vet visit with him - if you have no emergency vet clinics in your area call your vet's office to see if someone is on call for weekend emergencies. Your vet will have safe pain meds and ways to reduce the inflammation to keep your pet more comfortable.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy,

His bleeding stopped yesterday (only bled for about 30min) and he is eating today, but yesterday it was too hard for him (except for "treats" if I laid it on the floor... he was scared to take it out of my hand, I guess due to the pain) If I was to give him a little asprin... how much should I give? I gave him a small sliver of a pain med called darvocet and a doggie Ice cream, but he won't let me put any type of ice or compress on his cheek. I will keep an eye on him, but it would help if you could tell me how much asprin to give him and if another sliver of darvocet will be okay.

Thanks so much for all your help. I just rescued him about 6 months ago and I am up to about 4 grand in medical expenses. I am trying to cut back on rushing him to the vet for every little thing he gets into, but I just worry over even a small cut. If only they could talk to us :)

Emily
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Poor little guy!
I would not use any darvocet with him. Its listed on several sites as a poison for dogs.
Triple buffered aspirin or Ascriptin (which is aspirin with maalox in it) is what I'd use for pain if its not a bleeding situation.
Use 5 grain (325 mg) aspirin tablets.
A 60 to 80 lb dog may be given one tablet twice a day (every 12 hours) or 1/2 tablet three times a day (every eight hours). A 30 to 40 lb dog gets half as much; a 15 to 20 lb dog a quarter as much.
But my worry is that aspirin is a blood thinner and could start the bleeding again. It could make the bruising and swelling worse which is not what you want to do.
You might try making up some chicken soup ice cubes for him to lick.
I know a lot about those 'free or inexpensive' dogs that arrive through rescue - my theory is the most expensive dogs often are 'free' when you start!
If your little guy is eating and drinking for you then I think calling your vet in the morning and letting your dog rest and recover should be OK.