NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Weimaraner: lyme..same signs..times, gets semi aggressive..infections

Customer Question

I have a 3yr old Weimaraner that has been diagnosed with Lyme last August. She has been fine for quite some time and went through the same signs for the last few months on and off. Tires very easily at times, intermittently nibbles her food, her elbow swells at times, gets semi aggressive with the other house dogs, shys from strangers and has now had a very strange heat cycle, and has had on and off infections. (Vaginal, anal gland) Went to the vet for a CBC,, chem panel and Thyroid test. Most things came back within normal range, however, her Platelet count was HIGH, so was her T3 but her Alkaline Phosphatase was LOW. Do these have any realation? Should I do more extensive tests for thyroid? Can the thyroid be effected by her heat cycle? Can this be a relapse of the LYme?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Did she have live virus distemper shots when she was young? This site talks about reactions to vaccines in this breed. While your dog is no longer a puppy it still might be having an issue with that
http://www.weim.net/emberweims/health.html
I have a friend who bred weims for many years and she has told me about serious issues in weims that get the modified live vaccines that sound a lot like the joint and tiredness issues you are seeing. If you have a dog sensitive to this it could possibly be a part of the problem.
Yes thyroid and heat cycles can interact as all the hormones seem to have interplay in some way or another.
Personally I'd spay a dog with the kind of problems you are seeing as sometimes that helps solve them plus a dog with issues like this might pass them on to any offspring too.
You might find this site with info on blood chem readings in dogs useful too
http://www.thepetcenter.com/pha/cp.html
and this one too that shows the possible problems based on the results
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1474&articleid=989
"Alkaline Phosphatase: Serum alkaline phosphatase (often abbreviated 'SAP') belongs to a class of compounds called enzymes. These are protein molecules that function to assist various chemical reactions. Although the normal level of alkaline phosphatase varies in different species of animals, alkaline phosphatase in a dog is seen at higher levels in certain forms of cancer and some muscle and liver diseases."
You can check and see if the Lyme titer is still high or if it barely shows on the test - that is how my vet decides if Lyme is still active or if the dog just has an immune reaction to it.
You might want to do an allergy test for food allergies - those can show some of the symptoms and cause other infections. You can also try swapping to a diet like Wellness fish and potato or California Natural, or Blue Buffalo and see if that will help all this. Those foods and others can be found at pet supply stores.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Just to clear up a few things for you. Not sure if the puppy shot was live modified or killed it was the recombatible C4 by Merrill. I have had this breed for over 15yrs and am real aware of our vaccine protocol.
As for food, she is already raw fed and I havent changed her diet since she was 14wks.
As far as the spay goes, this is why I NEED to find out if this is a genetic problem or otherwise. She is finished in conformation and is in the top 20 at this time. Not a pet. So I want to get all my ducks in a row before suggesting anything like a spay to the breeder. We are possibly going to do a more extensive thyroid test and send it to Jean Dodds to see what that end implies.    
Basically I am looking for other routes along with the thyroid and possibly a sonogram for ovarian cysts.
Thank you for the links, I am checking them out.
Nadine
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes it really rots when the pretty dog you are showing ends up not having the best immune system.
As she has been out and about a lot - has she been shown in the southwest? could she have been exposed to Valley Fever if she was?
Its much harder to special a bitch - if she has been on serious campaigning you have to look at stress in relationship to the problems you are seeing too. If you had a handler on her was she or could she have been given anything to help her career that is now backlashing on you now she is home (more power to you if your doing this winning all on your own!)
Bear in mind Dr Dodds has become anti purebred and anti breeding when you get answers back from her - she's changed a lot based on what I've read that she has published since the beginning back when serious purebred breeders gave her all that lucrative business.
The man I'd go to about the reproductive issues etc would be Dr Hutchinson in Ohio. He might have more clues for you than anyone.
I believe he is in the greater Cleveland area when he's not giving seminars.
Dr. Robert V. Hutchison, is currently a co-director of the Animal Clinic Northview, Inc., an American Animal Hospital Association certified, ten doctor veterinary practice.
Its a really hard decision when you choose not to breed a big winner or when you choose to cease showing a dog that is a winning fool because its not genetically what you want.
I can say that after 30 years of breeding dogs myself that having the kind of reputation that says you will do that eventually pays off though.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks for the feedback. I was also thinking of Hutchinson, and am attending the Echo Hills shows in OH, next week. I bought this bitch from a breeder in CN to incorporate into my lines, unfortuneately, so she will ulimitely get the last say on testing.
All of my bitches showing has been through me on the east coast, so unless someone came out to the east and she caught something, I should be safe. This happened prior to our Nationals in PA where the entry was from all over.
Thanks for the input on Dodds, it is something to keep in the back of my mind. But for a full panel, she is probably the best price for the extensive testing. My vet also knows her, through people, and will give his opinion also as he has about titers through her in the past.
Nadine
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You might also inquire about the siblings of your dog - what their health is like. Sometimes you can just have a less than fortuitous line up on health genetics just when you got the conformation down almost perfectly.
Good luck with her! and if you want to PM me eventually I'd love to know how it all turns out - every bit you learn is one step further in dog knowledge!