Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

bichon: has kidney stones..special diet..antibiotics..my vet

Customer Question

my Bischon has kidney stones 3 very small ones and the vet wanted to do surgery right away but instead I went for a special diet with prescription dog food s/d (stoen dissolving food and antibiotics tryinf for 3 weeks but he told me to watch him because the stones could move into his uretha and it would be fatal am I doing the right thing? he is 9 years old and did not want to put hin through unnecessary surgery. my vet retired and I do not know this one first time I went to him any other suggestions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you decide to do this, you need to pay close attention to his urinary habits and watch him closely. If you see any discomfort, inability to pass urine, lethargy or other symptoms that he might be unwell, you need to see the vet immediately.

At 9 years, he would probably be just fine with the surgery. Your vet can do pre-operative blood work to rule out liver and kidney problems that might be a concern.

Let me know if you still have specific questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I also wanted to know if you had any other suggestions
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i had also wanted to know if you had any suggestions
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Sure I do! I can always come up wtih something!

Special diets work by reducing the mineral building blocks or urinary stones in the urine. These diets affect the urine pH and increase urination to help flush the urinary tract.

To completely dissolve the stones takes 4-16 weeks, depending on the size and number of stones present. During this time it is very important that your dog consume nothing besides the prescribed medications and the prescribed diet. Otherwise, the diet will not work properly and your pet will be plagued with this condition longer than necessary. Follow your veterinarian's directions when feeding the prescribed food, whether for treatment or prevention. Although these foods may not look like your typical dog food, most dogs readily eat these diets and find them palatable. If your dog is one of the few that doesn't readily accept a new diet after two days, you may want to try the following:

• Warm the canned diet to, but not above, body temperature
  • Hand feed the new diet for the first few days
  • Mix the dry diet with a little warm water and wait 10 minutes before serving
  • Over a 7-10 day period, mix the diet with your pet's former food, gradually increasing the proportions until only the new diet is being fed

Feed only the prescribed diet!

Do not feed meat, liver or other animal tissue, vitamin/mineral supplements, calcium supplements, breakfast cereals or vegetables.

Be patient, but firm with your dog. This is important. The success or failure of treatment depends to a large degree on strict adherence to the new diet.

If a bacterial infection is present you may need to keep your dog on antibiotics during this entire period.

Home Management

Once at home, your pet needs special attention and care. It is important that you provide free access to fresh, clean water at all times. Follow your veterinarian's instructions for card and activity if your dog's stones were removed surgically. This will include monitoring the incision and returning to your veterinarian for rechecks.

Follow instructions carefully if your dog has a prescribed medication. Antibiotics should be given for the entire period for which they are prescribed.

During and immediately following the dissolution process, your veterinarian may ask you to monitor your dog's urine pH at home or to bring a urine sample for follow-up urinalysis.

Call your veterinarian if any questions or problems arise. Watch your pet for bloody urine, straining, urinating in unusual places, excessive licking of the vaginal or penile areas, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, or depression. If any of these signs occur, please contact your veterinarian.

source