NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

digestion

Customer Question

our 8 year old dog who looks in good health and weight has within the last week started throwing-up her 6:00PM dinner at about 2:00AM. It appears only partially digested. What are the possible common causes?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Dogs can develop food intolerances even to a food they have eaten all their lives. You might find swapping to a high quality, easily digested food such as California Natural, Evo, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, etc will help.
If you are feeding only once a day you might want to split the meals into two with half in the morning and half in the evening.
If you just started a new bag of dry food when all this happened I suggest you smell it and see if it seems musty - if the bag somehow got contaminated (even by getting damp) the bag of food might be the issue. I'd consider changing bags of food if you did start a new bag just before this began.
But as your dog is a geriatric dog or getting to that age you might want to have a geriatric bloodwork done to make sure all her organs such as kidney and liver are functioning right. When caught early on many senior illnesses are very treatable.
When dealing with pets a big change in their digestion can indicate a serious issue so I think a vet check would be a reasonable thing to do. If it had only been once not a big issue but a week's worth of the same problem is something that would have me on the phone calling my vet for my pet.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the food and watch results.
Bob & Leann [email protected]
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome hope he feels better!