Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cockerpoo: My 2 year..anal glands..fiber in his diet help this problem

Customer Question

My 2 year old cockerpoo has had a problem with his anal glands. They need to be expressed every 3-4 weeks because they get full and uncomfortable for him. Will increasing the fiber in his diet help this problem and if so - how do I do that? What types of fiber are there for dogs and where do I purchase it? I want to try to avoid surgery if at all possible. Thanks so much!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Absolutely! Increasing the fiber in his diet will help a great deal. You can add some cooked carrots, peas or other vegetable to his food in small amounts.

Another great tool for managing anal gland problems is keeping the dog at a healthy weight. It all comes down to the tighness of their bottom when they push to poop. If their bottom is flabby, they won't be able to push and compress the glands as much.

So keeping the dog at a healthy weight will help a lot.

Keep in mind that there are surgeries that can completely remove the glands if they are too big a problem.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I need more info.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
What other specific questions do you have? I would be happy to answer them all. Do you need more tips? Or have specific things that you don't understand?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Well, first of all, he is not over-weight. He weighs only 25 lbs, he's 2 years old and is eating a mix of dry and wet food. My groomer recommended switching to Nature's Variety Prairie dry food with a tablespoon of the wet mixed in because he won't just eat the dry food. Do you know if this food is better for firmer stools? Do you know of a better food?? I can also cook and add carrots like you suggested but would it brown rice help too?? Is there anything else I can do to help this problem and is it safe to be expressing his glands every 3 weeks?? If this were your dog, what course of action would you take???
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I prefer the eukanuba and science diet brands. I am not familiar with Nature's Variety so I can't comment on that.

Brown rice would definitely help, too, but that's more of and doesn't have as much nutritional value for your pet as cooked carrots and veges do.

You CAN learn to express the glands yourself at home. It's pretty easy to do.

I would probably learn to do the expression myself if it was my dog.

I would also use a high quality food, dry only. Believe it or not, he will eat the dry food if he gets hungry enough. I would also eminate treats and table scraps completely until he eats like I want him to.

Does this help more?