NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

myopathy in siamese.

Customer Question

my siamese cat had perodontal disease which led to dropped hock.Vet put on fluids and strong antibiotics. brought my cat home 3 days later i had to put her to sleep. what the hell happened? I am devastated.I originally brought her in for tooth infection. Vet put her on clavamox. couple days later i noticed back left talus of paw was paralyzed. brought back to vet told me it was dropped hock {myopathy} due to the infection.brought cat home still no improvement called vet .vet said antibiotics will clear it up. monday i had to put her asleep because her back end was gone, What happen? What went wrong? I followed home care to the letter, I am scared I have another cat with renal disease and he is doing excellent but now am concerned for him too. I just need to know what happened to my siamese.....i recently sent you question and as you now know your answer was wrong or to late.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Periodontal disease often leads to heart disease. Sometimes medications can help a cat pull through and sometimes they don't.
As in any medical treatment you do the best you can and then wait and see if the patient is strong enough to pull through.
In my experience animals go along great for most of their lives and then suddenly its like everything breaks down at once and nothing you do helps much. I feel like it was the very sad problem with your cat - multiple issues all combining to end in the loss of your cat.
I'm so sorry for your loss and wish that we might have helped more but if in person vet care couldn't do it then trying to resolve the problem without even seeing your pet is that much harder.
If you have not seen this website you may find it helpful as you grieve www.petloss.com. I find the rainbow bridge story particularly comforting to consider.
Hope this helps you and sorry again for your loss.