Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Mare allergy

Customer Question

My mare has a horrible reaction to insect bites each spring, I notice that whelps can occur, but mostly she is just itching all the time and where she has been bitten, tufts of hair are removed by her scratching all the time. I start early with all sorts of insect repellents to no avail. I have been recommended a diluted bleach bath, in order to treat a fungus, I have been given steroids from one vet, with little success. Is there something I am overlooking?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

The following website I found that has products for horses that are supposed to be really good. You might want to check that out:

http://www.equineelite.com/

Have you asked your vet for an antihistamine for the mare, besides steroids? Perhaps there is something else the vet can recommend.

Are you spraying the stall where your horse is, with insect repellents? Perhaps there would be a way to put some kind of screen in areas where the insects get in most of the time. It probably is not easy to keep out flies, and such, but maybe the bug lights that people use for humans, outside, to repel insects might also help keep the insects away from her.

God bless and good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: Yes we have tried antihistamines, which affected her very little.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I am keeping her with insecticides. The problem is not that there are many bites, but that she is over-reacting to the bites and scratching patches of hair out. Or is it not insect bites at all. I have seven horses and none of the others are like this. In fact have very little problem with insects.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
Do they usually start right after she is vaccinated in the spring?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: We vaccinated mid April this year and this was beginnig about mid May I quess. It seemed to be later this year because we had cooler weather and the bugs were later. Associating this with vaccination has not occured to me.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Many horses get vaccines reactions and I would bet that this is part of what you are seeing. You might want to talk with your vet about doing vaccines in January instead of April and changing the whole schedule.

Horse's bodies make antibodies to fight off irritants and disease. All bodies do. However, some animals make too many antibodies and this presents as allergies. The body's defense system plays a little trick on us and we end up feeling worse. Same works for horses.

There ARE effective antihistamines that you can get from your vet.

Aside from that, I would try to keep her on pasture grass as much as I could. If you give hay, be sure to spray it with water first to minimize the dust that the horse inhales. Also, you should try to get as much ventilation into her stall as you can so that she gets fresh air. You should also get rid of her bedding and use a soft, synthetic floor instead. If you can't afford the panels that the equine stoors sell, try contacting a manufacturing company and see if they will give you or sell to you their old conveyor belts. These work great!

With these horses, you have to be creative and get rid of all the allergens that you can think of - dust, hay, flies, bugs, etc.

I would suggest that you use fly spray EVERY day and tie some downy sheets to her halter around her eyes and ears. This will deter the bugs even more and it makes the horse smell nice.

I hope that this helps more!

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is on ipe pasture and I keep her with a fly mask with ears. She comes in the stall at will. She has been on a grain mixture and we are about to have enough pasture to support her fully on that. We have been supplementing wih a great bermuda hay virtually dust free we by from a farmer down the road. Thanks for your help I will update you.