Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

7mo old Italian refuses water but will eat

Customer Question

my Italian grey has stopped drinking water or any liquid. She will eat eggs, and canned dogfood and laps up the juice but refuses water. This began when we started a long drive to take a relative to a hospital 6 hours away. After we checkd my relative into the hospital we drove back through the night arriving home about 9:30am Central time. We left around 5pm the previous day. She was with me in the car the whole time and usually she will drink the water I always bring along. She tried very hard to pee this morning but could not. I just took her out and she peed a little bit. Should I be worried or is she just off from the long trip?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Because you are seeing urination problems, I would be very concerned about a bladder or urinary infection or even stones that might be causing this.

Urination problems can be pretty painful and she's probably feeling a little off. That's probably why she won't eat or drink.

I think that you should see the vet tomorrow for a urine culture to find out what's going on.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I did not say that she would not eat. She will eat but will not drink. When I got home with her around 5 oclock pm, she was legarthic and sleepy. I fed her canned dog foood and she ate it all. The she went out and peed a few drops twice. She also defacated. Now she has gone right back to sleep and is not her usual bouncy self. I wish to be reassured that it is safe to wait till morning to take her to the vet. Since she does eat and drinks the juice in the canned food, am I correct in assuming this can wiat till morning?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Yes. I feel pretty confidant that, if she ate tonight and she is of nearly normal activity level, you can wait until tomorrow to see the vet.

If you are in doubt, you can always take her temp rectally. Normal resting temp for a dog is 101 - 102.5. If it's elevated much more than this, you should see the vet.

If she is unresponsive to you or you have problems waking her up, you need to see the vet.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you but I had no choice but to wait till morning, as it was late and I was exhauseted from the trip and you had already logged off when I sent my reply which I did imediately after recieving the email notice that there was a reply. I checked my email right after sending the question.

I feel you did not read the entire question before you supplied advice, as I plainly stated that this had only begun on the evening before and that she DID eat last night. You indicated in your first reply that I had said she would not eat OR drink.   If you review my origial question you will see that I plainly indicated that she had eaten canned dog food last night. I was also leary of your statement that she may have gall stones. This does not seem at all probable as the behavior only began on the first leg of the trip. I think she must have only been as tired as I was as she is back to her normal self today.

Your answer to my original post seemed to be a "stock" answer and not at all tailored to my question.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I never said that she might have gall stones. I said that she might have stones in the urinary tract that are causing a problem. Dogs often have crystals in their urine and this can cause stones. The stones then cause a blockage and this can cause problems.

Any time that you see these problems, you should worry about a urinary disorder.

I did not give you a "stock" answer. I told you what I know.

I am glad that she is back to normal today!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: None the less your answer was not helpful as I pointed out you logged off before I could ask anything else. I suggeest you read again what I wrote. Also look again at your answer to my original qustion. You said she might have "stones" in her urinary tract" I am neither a Dr. nor a Vetenarian. I am a layperson where medical knowlege is concerned. Had you been as exlicit and thourough in the first answer you gave me it would most certainly have been helpful. But you said nothing about:
"Dogs often have crystals in their urine and this can cause stones. The stones then cause a blockage and this can cause problems."

You only said "stones". How wwas I suppose to understand you were refering to crystals in their urine causing stones?

Also as I said before you had already logged off before I could get any good information from you.

I am most willing to pay for any help I ask for. I do not stiff checks nor pay with checks that are no good. I am an honest person. But the truth remains that you did not supply me with a timely answer that I could fully understand and by logging off after sending your reply I had no option but to wait till morning to asses my dog.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you would like a refund, feel free to email [email protected] to obtain it.

I am sorry that my reply was not thorough enough. I assumed that you would know what "stones" mean. You had obviously hear of gall stones and not of urinary stones or blockages. That was my mistake and I am sorry for not explaining well enough.

I can see that you are a very honest person and I appreciate that you are following up on this and letting me know how displeased you are.

You can either leave your deposit in your account to use at a later date or you can request a refund.

I don't expect you to accept my answer because you are obviously not satisfied with it.

I apologize for not explaining stones well enough that you could understand what I meant.

If you continue to see her squat but unable to pee, you will need to see the vet for a urine culture. This culture will help to detect the presence of stones in the urine or a urinary infection.

I am glad that she is feeling better!