Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

dog: s white blood cells..red blood cells..steroids and an antibiotic

Customer Question

My dog's white blood cells are destroying her red blood cells, she is on 3 types of steroids and an antibiotic for a toe infection, is this safe for her?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As long as all the medications are prescribed by the same vet who knows that the dog is taking them all then I would say the protocol is lots safer than letting her immune system kill her.
The steroids should help that problem and the antibiotics counteract the immune suppression effect of the steroids to control the infection in the foot.
If your vet isnt' communicating enough with you try taking in a list of questions you want answers to when you next see him or her. I find that helps me a lot to remember what I think I should ask.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I'm sorry Nancy, but this was not the answer I was looking for. I am having trouble trusting my vet and I was hoping for a more detailed answer. Ideally I would go get a second opinion, but because of the expense already paid I can't afford too. I've spent enough that my current vet is giving me a discount.
Thanks, Kate
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
Exactly what medications is she on?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You didn't list the medications or the disease you simply asked if the particular protocol was safe.
My expectations of a veterinarian is that if the same person prescribed the medications and knows that you are giving all to the pet at the same time that this would be the best choice for treatment protocol.
I hope you know that dogs can react to steroids differently than we humans do which is why dosages and treatment plans vary between species.
While lots of steroids might not be the treatment of choice for a human with their longer lifespan it can be the best treatment for a canine.
If you are basing your distrust of your veterinarian on the reading you have done on human medication then that might be an error because of the difference between the species.
My feeling is the pet's health and well being should be a partnership between the owner and the veterinarian.
If you are uncomfortable with your vet and the vet's treatment plan asking the vet for a better explanation of what the meds do and why those were chosen to be used together would probably help you the most.
This shouldn't cost you more money to obtain the information. A phone call by you and a return one by the vet might be enough to do it.
List out the medications and the diagnosis the vet gave you here and we will be happy to see if we can help you more to add to what the vet has already told you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: The meds she is on are: Cyclosporin 100mg (2 pills a day), Prednisone 20mg (2.5 pills a day), Azathioprine 50mg (1 a day). Cephalexin 500mg (2 a day).
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Cyclosporine: Cyclosporine is an immune suppressing agent. It inhibits B and T lymphocyte cell activity. Its main activity is exerted by inhibiting the release of interleukin-2. Cyclosporine is used for immune-mediated diseases and also in patients receiving organ transplants. Cyclosporine is also used as a topical preparation for use in patients that have keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye). Side effects include immunosuppression, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, gingival hyperplasia and pyoderma. The main side effects of the topical form are local irritation.

Prednisone: Prednisone is a corticosteroid that inhibits the production of prostaglandins and leukotriens to reduce inflammation. It also has immunosuppressive effects. Side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, or iatrogenic Cushing's if prolonged high doses are used.

Cephalexin: Cephalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic that is related to penicillin. Fewer allergic reactions are seen with this family of antibiotics than with the penicillin's. Cephalosporins are also more resistant to the enzyme beta-lactamase, making them more effective against a broader range of bacteria. Cultures are still important to find what antibiotic an organism is susceptible to. Side effects may include vomiting, diarrhea or uncommon allergic reactions.

Azathioprine (Imuran Rx) is used fairly commonly in dogs in combination with prednisone, in an effort to decrease the amount of prednisone that is necessary to control a problem or to add to the effect of prednisone when
it is not working well enough.

When these drugs are all used together, they should not be harmful to the dog.

I hope that this helps you more!