NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Buddah

Customer Question

My minature besingi is walking around not eating regularly. We think he might be loosing his sight, because he's walking close to the fence and the walls of our yard. He seems happy when we pet him or love him but he's lost a lot of weight which has us concerned. He was standing on the side of the step on our house almost about to fall forward as his hind legs were slowly coming off the ground. Our other dog is trying to play with him but he doesn't want to and just ignores him. His kennel was smelling very bad as if he was peeing and vomiting in the kennel and it smelled like a toxic cleaning supply or something. He's always been a fast eater and we've noticed that he throws his food up and re eats it. He also has been peeing in his kennel for about 2-3 months. Our other dog does this sometimes, so we thought he was imitating him. Please help us. Kisha
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This sounds like your basenji may have one or more of the hereditary issues known in the breed.
Progressive Retinal Atrophy: PRA is a major concern in basenjis, and from what I've read, seems to be increasing. The retina is slowly and continually damaged, and results in blindness.
Fanconi Syndrome: a kidney disease that affects the normal processing of sugars and proteins. Most dogs with this disease are diagnosed between the ages of 4 and 7, however it does show up in older and younger dogs.
Dogs with kidney problems often vomit and lose weight and of course they do not feel well and are not interested in playing and may be incontinent etc.
You can read some about Fanconi disease here
http://www.basenji.org/healthfanconi.htm
Your dog should see a vet, preferably one familiar with Basenjis and their hereditary illnesses for an exam and treatment.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy-

My hubby and I took Buddah to the vet but the tests are too exspensive. Buddah began to foam at the mouth and has continued to walk along the walls. We had several tests performed including bood test and urinalysis but they were unable to get any urine because he was dehydrated. They offered us an IV for him and added some fluid under his skin on his back.

The blood test results were normal. There was another round of testing that would have cost $300, but we cannot afford them. (that's just testing not treatments) We think he may be in pain and do not want him to suffer. Do you think we should have him put to sleep? It is also time for his yearly shots, but we have not gotten them because we fear he might need to be put to sleep. We also have a 2yr old daughter, who he growled at today and he's never done this before. We want buddah to get well, but can't afford to pay for lots of testing. The doctor did not give us any hope or potential diagnosis. She could not reccomend which way to focus our testing so that we could know what's wrong without running every single test on earth. Can you help steer us in a direction. We are praying tonight for an answer. Perhaps tomorrow we will have to put Buddah to sleep??
Kisha
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Did your vet discuss Fanconi disease as a possibility?
Did they offer anything other than testing and fluids to help your dog?
I think you should be able to ask the vet if treatment would be different if they do the testing or if they do not.
If the vet is not giving you much hope for treatment to save your dog euthanasia is certainly something to consider. You must consider your daughter's safety and your dogs comfort both.
About the financial bind you are in - sometimes if you explain the finances to the vet they can choose a less expensive route to try and help your pet or arrange payments etc.
I wish you luck with Buddah butif you can't treat him I'd suggest you consider euthanasia rather than letting him suffer.
:-( I'm sorry for you all!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Buddah was better yesterday. He ate some chicken and drinking water. He used the bathroom and seemed happier. He was not walking around the fence and we thought whatever it was getting better.

Today he's back to foaming at the mouth and he's walking close to everything and doing weird things like getting stuck behind appliances.

Is there a reason why he's foaming??
Through this all he's still wagging his tale when we call his name.

Are there drops we can give him for his eyes?

This is really sad.

Kisha
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If his vision problem is from a retina issue eye drops won't help but you can certainly rinse his eyes out with sterile saline.
Foamy saliva can be from nausea which would go along with the fanconi symptom.
There is info on treating this problem here
http://basenjicompanions.org/health/images/Protocol2003.html
try putting pedialyte in his water bowl (unflavored) to see if this helps him.
from this site an overview of what the problem is and some treatment info
http://basenjicompanions.org/health/fanconi/syndrome.html
"To use a far-oversimplified analogy, Fanconi is as if the renal tubules of the kidneys had become "leaky sieves," and the dog loses buffers, protein, glucose, amino acids, water-soluble vitamins and other things necessary for good health into the urine instead of passing them into the body for proper utilization. Left untreated, the dog's acid/base blood balance will go off and begin to compromise internal organs, the dog will lose condition and musculature, and the dog will slowly die.

The "control" is to feed the missing nutrients back to into the dog in the form of inexpensive supplements according to instructions in the Fanconi Protocol for Veterinarians.

The supplements used include: buffers (sodium bicarbonate tablets), protein (high-protein diet), glucose (more frequent feedings), amino acids (Amino Fuel), vitamins and minerals (Pet-Tabs and Centrum vitamins), calcium/phosphorus (dicalcium phosphate powder or Pet-Cal), potassium (Tumul-K, Uricit-C or potassium Gluconate). Some of these supplements will stay in the body and keep the dog stable and healthy during its nearly full lifetime."
Maybe you can print out the treatment protocol sheet and bring it to your vet and see if they will help you in figuring out how to follow it with your dog to see if that helps him.