Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

DOG: SHE IS A MIX (salchicha/CHIGUAGUA}..demodex..VETERINARIAN..BATH

Customer Question

I HAVE A SMALL DOG, FOUR MONTHS, HER NAME ISXXXXX A MIX (SALCHICHA/CHIGUAGUA}. SHE WAS DXD W/ GENERALIZED DEMODICOSIS, DEMODEX- MITES. THE VETERINARIAN SAID THAT SHE NEEDS WEEKLY BATH W/ MEDICATION, IN THE CLINIC SUPERVISES BY MD, COST WEEKLY ABOUT 88.00. W/ STRONG THERAPY MEDICATION, FOR SEVERAL WEEKS, LONG TERM TREATMENT. I REALY WORRY ABOUT, BECAUSE
I DON HAVE MONEY, NO HEALTH INSURANCE FOR ME, NO MONEY FOR MY DENTAL CARE. HOW CAM I PAY FOR THAT TREATMENT FOR MY LOVELY PET. I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS FOR YOU, FIRTS
DO YOU HAVE OTHER TREATMENT/ MEDS, SECOND, IS THIS DISEASE INFECTIOUS/ CONTAGIOUS FOR ME, BECAUSE MOLY STAYS OVER ME, OVER MY HANDS, ARMS, LEGS. PLEASE, I DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH, MY WRINTING IS POOR. EXCUSE ANY MIS
TAKE IN MY WRINTING. MY NAME ISXXXXX E-MAIL
IS:[email protected]   PLEASE HELP ME , THANKS.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Demodex is not contagious to you.  You cannot catch it.

There are some less expensive therapies but they all involve your vet.  Many dogs get a great deal of relief from this by using ivermectin, an over the counter cattle wormer that you can get at a feed store.  Your vet will have to tell you the dosage and treatment schedule.

You also need to put the dog on a supplement that contains omega three fatty acids.  Good skin starts on the inside.

You also need to be aware that some dogs never get over demodex and he might need treatment for a lifetime.  If you cannot afford treatment, you might want to consider finding a home for him with someone who can.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: NO BODY WILL TAKE CARE OF A SICK PET ON A PRIVATE HOME, I DON'T KNOW ANY ON DISPOSITION TO DO IT. AND ON A GOBERMENT INSTITUTION, ON A
JAIL, WITHOUT LOVE OF A FAMILY AS OUR. SHE NEVER WOULD STAYS BETTER THAN HERE WITH ME. SORRY IS
MY OPINION. W/ MEDICAL SHAMPOO SULF-OXY-DEM +
- 30.00, GOOD MEALS, TOPIC CREAM INDICATED, I AL
READY CARING MY LOVELY MOLY. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I TRIED TO SAID. THANKS FOR YOUR
ATTENTION/ TIME.