Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Pet Owner/People Counselor
Experience:  I love animals of all kinds -- not an animal expert -- good at finding relevant resources & info.
14607

Shih Tzu Itching

Customer Question

My 11-month-old Shih Tzu has been waking up at night (he sleeps in our bedroom) twitching and scratching at his ears. Eventually he will jump onto the bed for comfort, where he will keep twitching for a while before he finally falls asleep. When he is deeply asleep, he seems fine. He sometimes does this during the day, but mostly in the middle of the night. Any ideas?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

Just like with us, itching sometimes affects dogs more at night simply because there is less going on to distract them from it.

The causes of itching in dogs make a long list.  Allergies,
fungus, systemic problems and fleas are just a few possibilities. 
if you have yet had a a Vet take a look at this itching problem -- it
is a good idea to do so.

Whether or not your Vet finds any definitive and treatable causes for the itching -- there are augmented measures you can take.

Food Allergy -- switch to a nonallergenic dog food
-- your Vet and/or pet store may have brand recommendations.  Be
sure to look at the actual ingredients list (not just the marketing
hype on the label).  Avoid wheat and corn (rice is fine).

Consider trying Scratch-Free
this is a homeopathic liquid which you administer orally twice-daily (a
few drops by eyedropper).  I recently started using this with my
small Terrier mix and I noticed a positive difference after the first
dose.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve

Experience: I love animals of all kinds -- not an animal expert -- good at finding relevant resources & info.