Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

eating disorder

Customer Question

We have a 13 year old welsh terrier that had a bad bout of pancreatitus. Home for a month eating habits have changed dramatically. recently has refused food although he is drinking water. Any thoughts on why or what to do.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 Will he eat anything?  How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Had to be very careful for first three weeks, baby food, very low fat dog food perscribed by the vet. Lately over the past two days he has eaten very little although we have tried dry toast, his will not eat his dog food.He has a small jar of baby food yesterday buy refuses today. He is drinking water regularly
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I would try making some chicken and rice for him.  Just boil chicken and white rice but be sure to remove the bones and skin.  Dogs usually like this and it helps to keep them hydrated.  Feed him the broth as well.

Baby foods also work well.  Just be sure that they don't contain onions or garlic.

If he's active and drinking, I would give him some time.  If he's not, you may need to pay an emergency visit to the vet.

Let me know if you have more specific questions for me.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: This is probably a silly question but please tell me what you meant by broth. I bought some salt free fat free chicken broth are you saying to add a few tablespoons. Our dog has to limit his salt intake. Thanks
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

By broth, I mean boil the chicken and rice and feed him the "soup" that is left along with the chicken and rice.  This is broth.  If your dog has to limit salt, I would steer clear of broth cubes because they can be very high in salt.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: You have been a big help today thank you...He actually ate about four ounces of the chicken. We have an appointment with the vet first thing Tuesday morning and I think we'll make it till then. Regards XXXXX XXXXX a great holiday.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Great!  Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you.  Until you do, your deposit just sits there, unclaimed.  When you accept my answer, it is moved over to my account.

Thanks!