Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

neck fur shingles mange

Customer Question

Can my cat get shingles from me? His fur around his neck is raw in some spots. i put antiviral creme and wrap it & as soon as it looks better I let him not wear it & he scratches again. I have had shingles on my face since Nov 2004. Kuma (my cat) had the same thing he has now in Dec 2004...I have 4 cats no one else has any signs....
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

No.  Shingles is a human virus that affects nerve endings.  Cats cannot get it.

Most cats develop these symptoms as a response to allergies or fleas (or flea allergies). 

I suggest that you get the cat started on frontline and then talk with your vet about an antihistamine and/or steroid to help with the itching and give the skin time to heal.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Won't this irratate the skin around his neck?? I also keep all my cats inside & I don't see any fleas??
Thank you,
Nancy
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The frontline will not irritate the neck.  It's normally pretty gentle.

Even if you don't see fleas, this might be the cause and that's why you need to treat it as that first.  It only takes on flea bite to get it started when a pet is allergic to fleas.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you.  If not, let me know and I will provide more info.