lcbryson
lcbryson, Pet owner/trainer/breeder
Experience:  I have spent 8 years in the dog world, studying health, behavior, and training, esp aggression.
19772

New Mother

Customer Question

My Akita has a litter of 8 puppies 2 wks ago, yesterday morning 4 of the puppies had disappeared and she was bloody all over from fighting. I had heard her barking during the night but didn't check as I thought it was a stray cat trying to steal her food. This am she has a distinct personality change and appears sick. I'm not sure if she is hurt or has contracted a disease from some other animal. Have you ever heard of this?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There are a couple of problems that you could be looking at. The first is that she might have an infection from any fight wounds.  This can quickly get serious.

The second is that she might have mastitis.  This is pretty common when a mom is nursing.  This requires antibiotics to get some relief.  Dogs can die from mastitis if it is left untreated.

I suggest that you see the vet with her right away.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: What type antibiotic and dosage do they usually prescribe for this? She is really difficult to get to the vet, because she is so big. I'm a registered nurse and usually treat my animals too. lol I'm really concerned about her, because she is usually all over me and this morning she had symptoms of lassitude, her eyes looked forlorn, tail drooping and she barely got up and came toward me. For a dog full of vim, vigor,spirit and so loving it broke my heart to see her look and act so beaten. Her tits didn't look abnormal, wouldn't they look different with mastitis? They do seem to be a little larger than usual with her pups, but these pups are smaller and I just figured they weren't nursing as much. She just had a litter of 8 in the fall(Nov) that were hugh puppies. I was afraid coyotes got the puppies and that maybe thay had wounded her. I could only see blood on her hind quarters and didn't see any wounds, but I will look more closely when I get home from work this afternoon. Thanks for any info, I will also follow up with the vet, but thought you might tell me the standard treatments.
Sue
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am not a vet so cannot tell you dosages of antibiotics.

Even if you are in the medical profession, it's never a good idea to try to treat your pet at home.

Some antibiotics work for some causes and some don't.

Your vet would be the best one to guide you on this.

Expert:  lcbryson replied 11 years ago.
In addition to mastitis, it could be a number of things. Milk
Fever (eclampsia) is the first thing that came to mind. She could
have a retained placenta, or picked something up from whatever
she got into a fight with. With the symptoms that you described
this dog MUST GO TO A VET.
If it turns out she does have mastitis (although oit does not
sound like it, as her breasts would be hard, firm, and producing
bloody/pus like discharge) or milk fever you must take the
puppies off of her and hand fed. Her milk is basically poisoning
the pups at that point.