Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Robins in trouble!

Customer Question

There is a robin's nest on our door ledge, there are babies that have been growing in the nest for roughly a month. I have been taking pictures now and then to show their progress but have never touched the nest. Today when I lifted the camera to take a photo, the little robins freaked out and dropped out of the nest. There is still one robin baby in the nest. One got in my house and I put a bucket around it and a plate under it and put it back outside. I never touched it. They seem really hearty and they rapidly walked together in a bunch away from the nest. They keep flapping their wings but can't get off of the ground. They are bopping around out in front and the mom and dad are chirping really loud on either side of them on top of a fence. One of the parents returned to the nest with a worm, but didn't give it to the one baby left in the nest. It flew off. My question is, will the babies that are bopping around the yard survive, and will the parents continue to care for the baby that is still in the nest?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

At some point, the parents would throw the babies out themselves.  This might just be that time. 

I would keep an eye out for them but try not to disturb them too much.  Try to keep cats and dogs away and see what happens.

Mom and dad should continue to care for the baby left in the nest.  The bad thing is that mom and dad can't pick them up and return them to the next like dogs can.  If you wash your hands well first with a soap that does not smell, you can pick them up and place them in the nest and mom and dad will be none the wiser.

Let me know if you still have questions.