Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Change in behavior after sedation

Customer Question

Our 96 lb part lab/part shepard, was sedated by injection for xrays. Since then he is a totally different dog. He will not eat unless we hand feed him hamburger and rice mixture, is not interested in play and seems generall lethargic. Could this change in behavior be caused by the sedative?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 How long ago was the sedative?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: The sedative was given exactly 2 weeks ago today.
Thanks for any help---we don't know what to do.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You should not still be seeing any effects from the sedative at this late a date.

I suggest that you schedule a visit with the vet to find out what's going on.

This could be something easy to fix like a parasite problem.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I have had him to the vet since then twice. They did chest x-rays and did blood work. It showed a slightly elevated liver-enzyme and has been on antibiotics. We have spoken with the vet three times since. It just seems very coincidental that this drastic change in our dog was immediate after the sedation. If this is what caused the change, there's perhaps nothing that can be done-we would just like to know why our healthy, happy dog suddenly turned into a depressed, unhappy dog.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Unfortunately, I would feel led to agree with the vet and say that the two are not related.

I wish that I could tell you something to make you feel better but I just don't think that you would still be seeing the effects of anesthesia 2 weeks later.

It sounds like you are a great pet owner and your dog is lucky to have you.