Joann Canafax
Joann Canafax, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Lots of hands on and much studying
143236

toliet training

Customer Question

i have a ten week old boston terrier female wants to eat the wee wee pad. also will esat her bowel movement if not removed immediately.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
I am not quite sure of your question but here are a few tips on potty training!

Paper training a puppy is a two stage process: 1) train puppy to relieve itself on paper only 2) train puppy to go only outdoors. There is a potential risk of only partially house breaking a puppy using this method as it is trained that relieving itself indoors is acceptable.

Paper training is when the dog eliminates on the paper when indoors, but when outside it goes in a designated area.

The owner needs to monitor the dog and anticipate when the dog needs to relieve itself.

At regular intervals your puppy should be taken to the papered area or a designated place outside to relieve itself.

As your puppy relieves itself use words like "hurry up" then praise them. Soon your dog will learn the command "hurry up" means to relieve itself. It is important to praise your dog after it eliminates on the paper or outside in the designated spot so it learns that it is doing good by going in that area.

Whenever possible train your puppy to relieve itself outside in a designated area. A puppy needs to be taken outside after they wake up, after they eat and throughout the day at least every 3 hours.

Unless your puppy is to be completely an indoors dog (like a toy dog living in an apartment) then they need to be weaned off relieving themselves on the papered area. After the puppy learns that relieving itself on the papered area is ‘good’ then the papered area needs to be gradually diminished. As the papered area is diminished it should be moved closer towards the door and finally outside, by which time your puppy should be house broken.

Tips:

Generally let your puppy go outside when ever possible to relieve itself.
Set an alarm to remind you to let the puppy out to relieve itself.
Anticipation - A puppy that suddenly sniffs the ground intensely is usually signalling that it is looking for somewhere to relieve itself.
The important times to take your dog outside to a designated spot are, after they wake up and after they eat. This is a time where you can really emphasis praise when they relieve themselves and will be a very effective and fast way for them to learn.

http://www.about-dogs.com/puppy_house_break_training.htm
Joann Canafax, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: Lots of hands on and much studying
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: okay