NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Pups dieing

Customer Question

I have a full litter of Walker pups which were weaned 16 days ago at six weeks of age. Pups were wormed with Strongid and Panacur at 2, 4, and 6 weeks of age. All pups were on feed when weaned and were vaccinated with Vangard 5 at weaning. Seven days after weaned, one pup began to look thin and died two days later. The day after the first pup died, the remaining seven pups looked thin. There is evidence of blood mixed in their stool and they are rapidly dehydrating. I took two pups to the local vet and he said they might have parvo or whip worms. He put them on some whip worm medicine and Pen G and Nuflor for three days. After three days, they are extremely dehydrated and I expect them all to die over the next couple days. What could be killing these pups? I injected Lactated Ringer's USP under the skin this morning trying to get fluid back into their system and plan to do the same tonight and tomorrow morning.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Change their water bowls over to pedialyte or a mixture of 1 liter water to 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt - this will help them be thirstier to drink more and will help them retain fluids better.
I would suspect giardia or coccidia and you may find Albon or Flagyl (Metronidazole) will help them tremendously. Pups often come down with coccidia from the strain of weaning. In addition to the weaning strain you also vaccinated them so their immune system was being challenged - that is just when coccidia seems to hit.
I would not use both panacur and strongid in the same time frame - thats a lot of poison to put in any pup and the panacur should cover all the same worms the strongid takes care of.
If your vet didn't run a stool sample at the right magnification to see protozoans he might have missed them. Coccidia and giardia are protozoan parasites and can be picked up from infected animals or contaminated water - like even a rain puddle. Adult dogs pretty much work up immunity to coccidia but pups don't have that.
I'd go for a bland diet too while you are fighting this.
For that I mix 1/3 boiled meat with the fat removed (chicken or hamburger) with 2/3 rice cooked in the fat free broth and with as much moisture in it as you can get it to absorb (ie overcook it and add water when you let it stand.
You can add a little salt to the rice when cooking it.
This may help them by providing nourishment and more fluids without being harsh on their systems.
Hope this helps you!