Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

beagle: my 7 year..going blind and she is generaly lethargic..sneezing

Customer Question

About three weeks ago my 7 year old beagle was put under anesthesia for a teeth cleaning and wart removal over her eyes and chest side and she has not been the same since. We feel she is going blind and she is generaly lethargic compared to her old self. Originally, we took her to the vet because she was suffering with spring alergies, sneezing, post nasal drip etc. He prescribed anti biotics and antihistimins (both of which she has taken before) and said she needed a teeth cleaning to alviate the sinus problems. She also had a large wart on her side and small warts above her eyes. He said while he had her under he would remove all the warts. She had 2 teeth removed, and the warts were removed and the area above her eyes shaven. Could something have gotten into her eyes? We took her back to the vet to show/tell him what had happened. He agreed she was lethagic and that she had a "film" on her eyes that older dogs get. He suggested an eye specialist. Could the anesthesia or too much anesthesia or something he used on her eyes caused this sudden change.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It doesn't sound like anesthesia is the cause of these symptoms.  If you are concerned, you can certainly get a second opinion from a different vet before spending a lot of money on a specialist.

Let me know if you still have questions.