NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

help

Customer Question

My 12 year old akita has been unable to stand. She seems dizzy and disoriented. She still eats and drinks
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This could be what is called vestibular syndrome which is not uncommon in older dogs.
You can read about this problem here
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html
It could be due to an inner ear infection or simply something a little off kilter neurologically. It usually resolves on its own.
However you should get her in to see a vet for a full exam and maybe even a geriatric blood work up to make sure its not a sign of something else.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Does this come on suddenly? It is sunday and we cannot afford the 100 dollars to take her in to an emergency vet.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes it does come on very suddenly. One sign of this is you may see some rapid and odd looking eye movement.
If this is the problem the vet can't do much other than treat any ear infection, if that is the trigger, other than that its something you just have to wait out.
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
How do I give you the five in my account and another dollar.. I am sorry it is all I have./.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I think you just have to hit the accept button and follow along - its funny but I've never asked a question here so I don't know the procedure myself!
I hope you dog is fine - my dog with this problem just ended up with a head tilt and has been going along fine for another year now!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hope that does it. I feel better and cannot afford to take her to a vet, I will watch her and keep her fed and watered.. Thank You, Jim
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
That worked fine and thank you!
You may need to help her going out especially if you have stairs.
Do check out her ears to see if there are any signs of infection - meant to say that before!
good luck with her!