NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Doberman: My 7 yr..yr old..has a gagging cough & has been put on meds

Customer Question

My 7 yr old Doberman has a gagging cough & has been put on meds Amoxi-Tabs 400mg and Clemastine 2.68mg. She has been on these meds since Monday. On Thursday, the vet also gave her Drontal Plus 68.0.
The problem is, she won't eat anything. She drinks plenty of water but won't eat. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you~
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Some times antibiotics can put dogs off their food. One of the side effects of amoxi can be nausea.
You can try warming her food in the microwave for a few seconds to make it smell more appealing. You can also try her on a bland diet of boiled meat (chicken or hamburger) with the fat removed plus rice cooked in the fat free broth in proportions 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice to see if she will eat that 'treat' which may also maker her tummy feel better.
You can call the vet and see about changing antibiotics.
The Drontal was a wormer and usually dogs are fine after having that and even can be a bit less hungry as they feel better with the worms gone.
To help spark her appettite you can swap her water bowl over to a mix of 1 liter of water with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt which will help her drink more (good if she is ill) and the sugar should get her appetite working.
I've also used nutritional pastes such as Nutrimax or Vitamax etc to get a dog restarted on eating. Most pet supply stores carry something like these pastes. They come in a tube.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: this is exactly what the vet told me the other day to do & it has not helped at all~ now, she has very orangish looking diarrea......... I don't know if she's going to make it~!

this was of no help to me~
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As you did not state that in your question I had no way of knowing that.
If she will drink I'd suggest making her chicken soup and see if she will drink that for nourishment.
If you have not tried her on a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger with all the fat removed and rice in proportions of 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice you might see if you can tempt her with that.
If you have not tried the nutritional pastes then that might work for you. I've used it to jump start the appetite on many dogs. Usually 20 minutes after having some they might look at the chicken in bland diet.
If the diarrhea does not look like its simply bile passing through then you might consider asking the vet tomorrow about corona virus infection.
I've also had success using either a simethecone product or even pepto bismal to make the dog feel better enough to consider eating.
Pepto or kaopectate as long as they don't contain tylenol may help
from here I got this info
http://hugpugsandco.tripod.com/medications/
KAOPECTATE: Can be given to dogs and cats (1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds) to help ease vomiting and diarrhea. This dosage can be repeated every four hours or until your pet is resting comfortably.

PEPTO-BISMOL: Can be administered to dogs with stomach problems. Give one teaspoon per twenty pounds of weight every four to six hours. Again, Pepto Bismol should never be given to cats.

Maybe this will help you!