Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Pet Owner/People Counselor
Experience:  I love animals of all kinds -- not an animal expert -- good at finding relevant resources & info.
14607

dog: My house and yard are infested with fleas..allergic..sleeps

Customer Question

My house and yard are infested with fleas and I am extremely allergic to them. I have a stack of clothes on my bedroom floor that I am collecting for charity. My dog sleeps next to them. If I run the clothes through the dryer for about 20-30 minutes, will it kill the fleas if there are any on them? Also, I want to "De-Flea" my carpet, dog, house and yard. What should I do first and how??? PLEASE HELP!!!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

First, you need to see the vet and get a prescription flea remedy.  Frontline, advantage and revolution all work well.  You should apply it and then wait up to 24 hours and bomb the house.  Check at your local harware store for a treatment for the yard.

Keep in mind that you will need to repeat this in two weeks when the eggs hatch out.

Also, keep an eye out for small worms that look like white rice around the anus of the dog.  These are tapeworms and they come from fleas.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Ok...what about the question regarding the clothes I have stacked for charity???? The first question above...
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
A steam cleaner will apparently kill the fleas in the clothes -- and other places as well.  Of course you will want to re-wash them after the steaming.

Here are other flea-related resources.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve