Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

lab: threw..Vet today..on intraveneous fluids because he has thrown

Customer Question

My lab ate 3 pounds of bacon{uncooked} and two days later threw up numerous times. I took him to the Vet today and he has him on intraveneous fluids because he has thrown up so much. He took blood to check on his pancreas which he thinks is in a state of pancreaitis. The blood tests showed a tremendous amount of fat in the blood{milky}. He had to send blood to a lab because it was too had too much fat in the blood for his test machine{?]. He told me that I should not worry too much, that I should not lose sleep over it. Is he right? I am so worried{this lab is like my own child}.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Pancreatitis can be pretty serious if left untreated.  It sounds like you are treating it, though, and that the dog is on the mend.  If you are already under the care of a vet, you are headed in the right direction.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: How about the large amount of fat in the blood...can the body take care of it w/o complications?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The body CAN'T take care of it and that's why you are seeing the problems that you are.  The vet has probably restricted his food intake and has an iv drip in to keep the fluids up.  This gives the pancreas time to heal.

Let me know if you still don't understand.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Yes, he has an IV drip...What happens, though, with this fat in his blood?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
He is very healthy, Tammy..do you think is has any dangers... I want him home, but healthy.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The body will eventually process all of these toxins and the fat that he ingested.  The vet will probably withhold food and keep him on the drip until he is ready to come home.

I sounds like he is on the road to recovery.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you,Tammy. You have been very helpful. This Lab is so very special.