NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

pug with kidney failure and kidney stone help needed

Customer Question

my 7 yr old pug has a failing left kidney, and a kidney stone in the right one.shes been losing weight but still eats a little and has not had any blood in her urine. i brought her to a vet and they said the would probably have to remove the left kidney and remove the kidney stone. the tests alone wre(NNN) NNN-NNNNand 2000-3000 for surgery. is this necessary dont the have mediccation the breaks down kidney stones with a low protein diet. i want what is best for her . so what do u reccomend? i live in massachusetts and there is a tufts vet school are vet schools any cheaper? and is this condition common because the more i research the more i hear about dogs with failing kidneys and kidney stones? any info would be great thank you
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
In MA you also have Angell Memorial Animal Hospital which is another teaching hospital for veterinarians. Both Angell and Tufts are teaching hospitals.
You can choose to have a second opinion from another vet and to bring that vet the test results the first vet has had done for your pet.
I have not found vet schools to be any lower in price than other vets, for the reasons which I consulted with them, but you can do some comparison shopping on surgeries like this and certainly checking with a vet school might be a good choice.
A vet school often has the most up to date equipment and techniques and treatments readily at hand which a general practitioner vet may not have.
In my experience vets that are quicker at surgery can often charge less than ones who are slower in their techniques. My personal ideal for a surgeon is that he or she be quick, accurate and careful all at the same time. The less time under anesthesia is frequently the better for the patient.
Whether or not the diet and medication would work on your dog's stones depends on the kind of stone they are. Not all types are the same and not all can be managed by the treatment plan you know about.
On another topic, if you know your dog's breeder you should notify them of this problem in your pet as it is likely a hereditary issue.
You can read about uroliths in dogs here for some more info http://www.2ndchance.info/calculi.htm
Hope this helps!