NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

bald spot on jack russel terrior

Customer Question

have a jack russle he developed a bald spot it is located in his shoulder area around the top of his front leg.the bald spot(just one) is a little larger than when it started but doesnt seem to be getting larger now and it doesnt appear inflamed or anything but after a few weeks (in the bald spot) he is getting black spots about a quarter of an inch round...he has been to the vet ruled out ringworm it cost 136.00 for that and now they say they will need to do more test but i dont know how many test we can afford at thsi price
thank you
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
By the things you describe It sounds like a hot spot is your dog itching alot? A lot of reasons for hair loss are parasitic and can be cured at home with a good insecticide bath. If your dog is picking at it or itching it alot you may want to consider a Cone collar so it can heal.

Hope this helps!

Demodectic Mange - also known as Red Mange
The Dog Mange called Demodectic mange is caused by Demodex canis, a minute size, cigar shaped mite that affects puppies from three to 12 months old. This type of canine dog mange causes itching, the skin is reddened and scaly, and hair loss occurs in circular patches resembling ‘ringworm.’ The face and front legs are most commonly affected. The treatment includes dips of an insecticide called Mitaban preceded by hair clipping and benzoyl peroxide shampoo
http://www.dog-names.org.uk/dog-health-mange.htm
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: i just received your answer and would like to know if you think i am
> using the right things for my jack russles skin problem no it doesnt
> seem to itch or anything..and he didnt have the black spots when the
> bald spot first occured do you know what this is?
> there is only the one spot and it doesnt seem to be spreading or irritated
>
> i am currently using a antimicrobial(anti bacterial,antigungal and
> antibacterial spay)
> from pets best
>
> and sulfodene 2-mercaptobenzothiazole do you think these would help?
>
> and i was wondering if miconazole shampoo would help i have been reading
> up on that.
>
> this spot has been on him for abut 2 months now and we have been using
> the anticeptic spray about one and half months and just started the
> sulfodend about 3 weeks ago
> have you ever heard of these black spots appearing in a bald spot or
> have nay idea what this is?
> thank you
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
JRT's are known to have skin problems. Some of them can be traced to a problem with a zinc insufficiency.
Discuss this possibility with your vet.
Trying the right supplement might be fairly easy and inexpensive and if it doesn't work you can always go for the testing your vet wants.
One supplement that has zinc is called Linatone Plus "Linatone - May help control shedding, flaking, and itching while adding luster to dull coats. Contains essential fatty acids and Vitamins A, D3, and E to improve your dog's skin and coat condition.

Linatone Plus - The same active ingredients as Linatone but enriched with zinc and protein for improved skin and coat."
Might work and couldn't hurt but do talk to your vet about it.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you nancy
i will pick these things up tonight and start eddie on them,
appreciate the extra time you spent with me...