Joann Canafax
Joann Canafax, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Lots of hands on and much studying
143236

Feline hair loss and hot skin

Customer Question

My female barn cat has lot most of the hair on her back and the skin feels very hot. Prednisone helps somewhat, and the hair does try to grow back. What could be the cause of this condition?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
I found this information for you hope this helps!

There are a number of possible causes of alopecia in cats but most of them do show up earlier in life.
Despite this, it probably makes sense to think about all of them and then try to figure out which ones
are unlikely and which ones might possibly be present.

The first question that is usually asked is whether the cat is itchy, or not. It can be very difficult to tell
if itching is present but most of the time, if there is chewing or licking on the fur it is better to assume
that it is.

If itchiness is not present, the most likely diagnoses are a systemic problem leading to hair loss,
endocrine disorders, bacterial skin infections, ringworm and immune system disorders.

In cats, there are some reports of sex hormone related hair loss, hyperadrenocorticism can occur and
some vets believe that there are cases of hypothyroidism in older cats, although this is pretty difficult
to be sure of since it is usually based on response to thyroid hormone supplementation rather than
changes in thyroid hormone levels on lab tests.

If itchiness is present, the most likely diagnoses are skin parasites, bacterial skin infections,
ringworm, (I know that some things show up in both lists), skin cancers, and immune system
disorders.

It is important to have some information as just a general database to start from when hair loss
occurs in older cats. A general blood chemistry panel and complete blood cell count should be done,
to try to rule out systemic illness such as liver disease contributing to skin disease. A feline leukemia
test should be done, even if this has been done previously, since this is a disease that can lead to hair
loss problems. It may be a good idea to check for feline immunodeficiency virus, as well. It may be
reasonable to test for the hormonal diseases as well. In cats, a low dose dexamethasone suppression
test may detect hyperadrenocorticism. I am not aware of a good test for the suspected
hypothyroidism that occurs in cats because thyroid values are reported to be in the normal ranges
even in cats that do respond to replacement thyroid therapy. As an alternative, it is reasonable to
biopsy the skin and see if the pathologist detects signs of endocrine related hair loss and then try to
figure out which hormonal skin disease might be present.

Skin scrapings to rule out demodecosis, testing for fungal infections, using good flea control
medications to decrease the possibility that fleas might be present, treating for any bacterial infections
and even considering the use of cortisones to rule out itchiness as a possible contributing factor can
all be helpful.

http://www.vetinfo.com/catfur.html sorry forgot to post where I got the information!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks for your quick reply. The cat is approximately 3 years old and spayed. There are no fleas. I was hoping that the presence of heat in the affected area would provide some clue. Prednisone injections seem to reduce the presence of heat, and the hair begins to grow again.
the heat could possibly be a sign of infection or maybe a hot spot Im assuming the predisone is for the hair loss?