NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Heat cycle

Customer Question

My 3 year old female boxer should have gone into heat by now. Is there anything i can do to make her go into heat or what would be holding her up?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Dogs go into heat on their own cycle. Its not an exact 6 month pattern for many dogs. If you are concerned because she has gone longer than 6 months than her last heat you could have the vet do a progesterone test to see where she is in her cycle.
If she is 3 and has never been in season then there is definitely a problem. Either she has silent heats which you have not noticed, she has some congenital deformity such as being an XXY dog instead of an XX (ie is a genetic hermphrodite which happens sometimes), or she has something else wrong with her system.
Overweight dogs sometimes skip heat seasons.
If she has some abnormal hormonal issue you might want to reconsider breeding at all. While there could be treatments that bring her into season that might just perpetuate the hormone problems down the line to the next generation.
If you have not had her all her life she might even have been spayed. Early spay neuter sometimes leaves almost no detectable scars.
Some vets specialize in reproductive problems in the dog. I'd suggest you ask your vet for a referral to such a clinic. You may have to travel to get to one. If you do perhaps your vet can work with such a clinic and do bloodwork etc to help you find out what is out of sync with your dog.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for the advice. I'll check with the vet. She has always done a 7 month cycle and it is 8 months now. I have had her all her life and she has had 1 litter.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome - hope she just is having a delayed heat season!