Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: discharge from eyes, very foul odor,stopped eating..ruffled coat

Customer Question

hello, our cat died one week after showing the following syptoms and my wife and i are baffled and what could have caused this. the syptoms were;sneezing,discharge from eyes, very foul odor,stopped eating, still drunk water,ruffled coat,depression,difficulty walkin(in late stages)seclusion.we would like to know the list of posabilities and if its communicable.this cat was only inside the home, however, we had outside cats that would come inside now and then.after the onset of these symptoms it was about 2 weeks before death.thankyou for your time.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Any time that a cat does not eat for more than 24 hours, you should be very concerned.  The condition caused by not eating  is called hepatic lipidosis where the liver thinks it is being starved and starts "grabbing" fat cells...and actually ends up killing the liver.

I would look at this as the number one cause. 

Sneezing, discharge and eye gunk could be an indicator of an upper respiratory infection.  These can quickly get serious and kill the cat.

Since you have strays, you might be dealing with FIV/FelV, communicable illnesses that weaken the immune system.

There are so many things here that it "could" be that it would be impossible to list them all.

I am truly sorry for your loss and know that you probably want some closure on this. 

My thoughts are with you at this sad time.