NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

beagle: eaten..drink water..she throws up a thick yellow mucous..nose

For the last three days my 9 year old beagle has been very lathargic and has eaten and drank water very little. Whenever she does drink water, shortly afterwards she throws up a thick yellow mucous. Her nose at times feels warm and dry and her eyes have been watering. Do these symtons sound like a cold/virus or could it be more serious.
You can try giving her pedialyte or a homemade solution of 1 liter water mixed with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in her water bowl instead of plain water and see if she can keep that down. You could even try a little chicken broth with her if she keeps the pedialyte down.
This could be anything from eating something toxic to a virus to something wrong with an internal organ etc.
Three days is a long time for a dog to go without enough food and water.
I think you need to get her in to be seen by a veterinarian who can help with the dehydration from vomiting and not drinking much. The vet should also be able to find out if this is caused by a problem with her liver or kidneys or is another disease.
If she is not spayed then this could very well be a life threatening uterine infection which means you would need to get to a vet immediately to save her.
I would treat this as a serious issue particularly if the dog seems worse today than she did on the first day.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Sadly your concern over the seriousness of our Lady's condition proved to be correct. I rushed her to a local animal hospital yesterday and she was diagnosed with acute kidney failure. We lost her today.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
If you have not been to this website you may find some comfort at this site
www.petloss.com and I personally find the rainbow bridge story a heartening one.