Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

red belly with sores--bad rash not Cushing

My Shish tuz has a red belly with some sores. I read in a dog book, but forgot the name of the disease. Systoms are: itching under arm pits, licking his feet and rubbing his face on the carpet. Please help. I've been to a Dermatologist and that is where I found this dog book but again I was too late to ask about it. He does not have Cushing disease. Hydrcortisone and Prednisone make it worse. The article I read said that other dog breeds like Boxers, Dalmations, and the Terrers are the wosre type of dog to have this disease besides Shish Tuz.

The symptoms that you are describing can indicate that your dog has allergies.  Dogs can have allergies to environmental agents, pollen, fleas, products, food....

You need to see the vet to discuss your treatment options.

Step one is to see the vet.

Step two is to get the dog started on a low allergy diet.  These special diets can be purchased at any pet store.

Step three is to start the dog on a supplement that contains omega three fatty acids.  Good skin starts from the inside out.

If you suspect an allergy, the most common place to look first is at food but you should also look to fleas.  Even if you don't see any, it only takes one to get the cycle started.

Please let me know if you have more specific questions.  I fear that my response might be a little broad.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I know that Shish Tuz are bad with the allergy things. I have special dog food for him. Also took away milk bones and white looking dog bones
that he loves to chew on. My regular Vet gave him back to me and said they couldn't do any more for him. I went to a Dermtologist Vet and they were of some help.They gave me OxyDex gel to use. I'm on my second 1 oz. tube. I felt that the deffinate systoms would help you; Itchiing arm pit, feet licking and rubbing face on the carpet. The article I read had a name for it, but I Forgot what it was called.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Does no comment mean that you have no answers for me??
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added

No.  It just means that I walked away from the computer for a moment....

This condition is commonly referred to as atopic dermatitis.  You have to watch the feet licking because that can lead to a lick granuloma and then you have even more problems.

I have found some information for you that details a treatment plan.

TREATMENT OPTIONS

Symptomatic Therapy

Treating the dogs symptoms may include; cool baths with or without colloidal oatmeal, Epsom salts, or medicated shampoos.  This can be done frequently but provides only temporary relief.  Caution should be used with sprays and ointments because many contain potentially harmful substances. According to Dr. Ackerman, Dermacool is a safe spray containing witch hazel.  Cortispray is a low dose, non systemic cortisone spray which can be safely used for short periods of time.  Immunotherapy Allergy shots are very safe and many people have great success with them, however, they are very slow to work. It may be six to twelve months before improvement is seen. I spoke with Dr. XXXXX XXXXX, a veterinarian with the dermatology department of the University of Pennsylvania, about intradermal skin testing for inhalant allergies. She reports the average success rate is 70-75%. This rate is for dogs showing any improvement at all. At U of P. the cost for the procedure is $69.00 for the exam, $122.00 for the sedation and testing, and $85.00 for the first 5 months worth of vaccine. After that vaccines are purchased in 7 month supply for $65.00. Substances that are tested include cats(!), feathers, wool, moulds, dust, trees, insects, plants and pollens. Before testing, your pet must be free from all steroids, oral or injected (including those found in ear and eye medicines) for a specified period of time in order for the test to be valid. In all about 60 different substances are tested for.

Corticosteroids

These compounds reduce itching by reducing inflammation.  Unfortunately, they also affect every organ in the body.  According to Dr. Ackerman, steroids should be considered only when the allergy season is short, the amount of drug required is small or as a last resort to relieve a dog in extreme discomfort. Side effects can include increased thirst and appetite, increased need to urinate and behavioral changes.  Long term use can result in diabetes, decreased resistance to infection and increased susceptibility to seizures. You can recognize steroids by the suffix "-one", such as cortisone, dexamethasone, prednisone ..etc.. In short, alternatives to steroid therapy should always be considered.         

Antihistamine

Antihistamines can be used with relative safety in dogs. About one third of owners report success with them. The major drawback, as with people, is sedation. Dr. Ackerman recommends that a minimum of three different types of antihistamines be tried before owners give up on this therapy. According to Dr. Johnson, the most common problem with this type of treatment is that owners give the drugs at doses that are too low. Check with your vet on correct dosing. Examples of antihistamines commonly used for dogs include: Tavist, Benadryl, Chlortrimeton, Atarax and Seldane. Personally, I have seen the best results with Atarax.

Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids

These fatty acids are natural anti-inflammatory agents. They reportedly are helpful in 20% of allergic dogs. My own experience puts this figure a little higher. They are certainly worth a try because they are not harmful and have virtually no side effects. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish oils (especially krill and cod) and omega-6 fatty acids are derived from plants containing gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), such as oil from the evening primrose. These supplements are different from those sold to produce a glossy coat. They tend to reduce inflammation that may lead to skin sores but are not as effective in reducing itching. Products that contain both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids include: Omega Pet, Derm Caps, and EFA-Z Plus.

Environmental Control

If you know which substances your dog is allergic to avoidance is the best method of control. Even if you are desensitizing the dog with allergy shots, it is best to avoid the allergen altogether. Moulds can be reduced by using a dehumidifier or placing activated charcoal on top of the exposed dirt in your house plants. Dusts and pollens are best controlled by using an air cleaner with a HEPA filter. Air conditioning can also reduce circulating amounts of airborne allergens because windows are then kept closed.

source

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I take 1200 mg of fish oil for my brain. Would this dose be too strong for a 16 lb dog?