NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

WHat do I Do

Customer Question

I have a 90/10 wolf-siberian husky mix dog a few months ago he started bleeding from EVERYWHERE... the vet told us he had an extremely low platelet count>>3<< yes I said THREE. after a transfusion and multiple trips in and out of the vet hospital>>>> 1800.+++, and almost two months of progesterone treatment, he seemed FULLY recovered>> (although that was the hard part to deal with from ours and the VETS viewpoint.... he never truly ACTED sick, he was quite active played with the vet techs, made friends and all). Now he seems to be getting listless, hes losing a good amount of weight, SHEDDING even MORE than usual>>> I originally took him in for the summer LAST SUMMER to FOSTER for a family member who worked on the road, and yes I still have him, and am paying for him>>>> but now I CANNOT afford to spend another huge chunk or even a little chunk of money on him, I'm still paying off the last bill!! BUt I discovered, Much to my chagrin,that I worship this doghe has taken my heart and soul with him and I cant let him die, so what can I do or where can I turn, Im not even SURE that it is the same thing now, we live in Arizona and have tick and valley fever as well as west nile virus PLEASE HELP
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You can check with the site www.imom.org and see if you qualify for their financial aid to help with caring for your pet.
This could be something else entirely or it could be another aspect of an autoimmune disease.
I'd have the vets take a look at him and see if they can determine what is wrong or what they would suggest as a course of treatment. That is the deciding point when you know what the bills will be.
If you love your pet and cannot afford to do the care and the imom folks can't help you then you might have to grant him passage over the rainbow bridge instead of letting him suffer.
(If you've not seen this story check it here www.petloss.com and scroll down to the rainbow bridge story link - bring kleenex though!)
Its not the first choice but its not always the worst choice for the pet either. (Horrible for us for sure but not always the worst thing for the pet.)
I hope this helps you and that you can get the help you need for your pet!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: No offense but>>> You told me nothing I did not already know as far as finding out whats wrong and IMOM>> thats one of those that Can't help me because there are so many others already needing help, and I on the other hand am "Reasonably Financially Stable", I thank you for your time but nothing was said that helps me and so I am not comfortable paying for you to tell me to put him down! I would not "Grant my Children Passage over the RAINBOW BRIDGE simply because I could not afford a doctor for them, WHY WOULD I DO IT TO TAKODA>>>> He is as much a part of my family as any of my kids or grandkids so>> thank you but NO thank You!!
Sincerely Robin
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I'm sorry you didn't find my answer of any help.
You did not mention that you had already tried imom nor that you were financially stable etc.

You did say you felt the dog was suffering and that you were not able to pay for more vet bills but you wanted to keep the dog if you could so I suggested a way you might do that.

It is my feeling that it is the owner's responsibility to relieve suffering either by treatment or euthanasia. I personally do not think its kind to let an animal linger in pain or suffering just so I can have its company. If you feel differently that is certainly your right. Everyone has different views on that.

I did suggest that rather than fearing the vet costs might be too high that you instead consult with a veterinarian to see what the costs would be. It might solve your worries to find out if proposed treatment or testing is something you actually can financially handle. Maybe you can even find a vet in your new living area who can do a trade with you for services or skills you can provide.

If there was a home cure or health check test I could suggest I would certainly do so. I believe your pet needs vet care.

You don't have to accept any answers - thats the beauty of this site :-)