Rebekah Haferbecker
Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience:  Caring for animals for over 10 years and shelter volunteer for 2 years.
146273

feline behavior problem

Customer Question

I have eight cats and one of them (maggie) I think might have seperation anxiety.If I am gone until late in the night she will have urinated on top of the stove or on top of a bowl with fruit in it. She is a calico cat and I also have her sister.   
Category: Pet
Expert:  Rebekah Haferbecker replied 11 years ago.

Firstly I would have the cat checked for any physical problems. Peeing in inappropriate places can be a sign of a Urinary Tract Infection or other bladder related problems. If this has been ruled out then, you may want to try cleaning the litterbox more frequently some cats can become finicky about their litterboxes. Especially, with so many cats it is likely hard to keep them clean.  Also, if she is one of the newer cats or one of the older cats she may be reacting to not having her own space. She may prefere to be seperated from the other cats while you are away. You can also try using double sided tape on the stove and couter to prevent her from getting up on them. You also may want to have someone stop by to check on the cats when you will be gone that long, if it is seperation anxiety this will help.

Hope this helps!

Additional info thanks to Tammy Falkner:

Maggie might also benefit from a homeopathic remedy called Homeopet. (www.homeopet.com) It helps to relieve some of the kitty anxiety and we have had great success with it.

If she is urinating on carpets and other inappropriate places, there is a product called Feliway that you can use on these areas that will help to deter her.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: She will be with me two years. Last year she was urinating blood. She was put on antibotics and I check her urine regularly. It is the right color. I do not think its that even though she did have a problem in the past. I have a one bedoom very large apartment. She is fine with the other cats. They all get along for the most part. Lets say there are no major battles. I change the litter boxes every two to three days completely. Each box has a cat liner in it and I was out completely once a week. I have seen her do this with a clean litter box. I really can't ask people to check up on her unless I am on vacation. Any other suggestion?

Then you may want to try Feliway or Homeopet (www.homeopet.com). There are also Homeopathic remedies you can make yourself.

Pour a few drops of these aromatic blends into the palm of your hands and very gently pat your cat along the spine. These oils can typically be purchased at you local health food store.

Prepare these aromatic blends by pouring the essential oils into a 10ml bottle, then adding an organic vegetable oil to fill.

Relieve Stress
**********
Try this aromatic blend to relieve your cat's stress.

· 3 drops Lavender
    · 1 drop Neroli

**********
Combat Loneliness
**********
Do you work outside the home or travel frequently? In spite of their independent nature, cats long for company and affection. Use this aromatic blend to help your cat combat bouts of loneliness.

· 4 drops Marjoram
    · 1 drop Rose

Separation Anxiety/Abandonment
**********
Use this aromatic blend to help your cat adjust to his separation from you.

· 2 drops Roman Chamomile
    · 3 drops Lavender

Source: http://www.psyworldnet.com/articles/aromatherapy_cats1.htm

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: I went on to catfeiries site and sent away for this gadget that sends aroma in the area that the cat urinated in and I did receive and install it however I am very skeptical on the results. Maggie does not do this all the time so I will see what she does. Perhaps I am looking for a more complicated answer then I should maybe it is as simple as aromatherapy. If anyone can come up with a theory as to why the cat my do this I am still willing to pay for the answer that suits my cat.   
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I wrote too soon. After investing in the aromatherapy and using it for a few days Maggie did it again. She urinated on a plate on the kitchen table. This time I was not gone all day, approx 5 hours. At Wit's end!