Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: old self..his tail has no feeling in it...pulling peices of hair

Customer Question

my cat got hit by a car. he is healing very well. he is back to his old self. his tail has no feeling in it. now he is pulling peices of hair out of it. the doctors say maybe nerve damage, but they will not tell me anything else without bringing him in. i am unemployed and need to know what i can do about it inexpensively.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It's hard to tell you over the internet what you are dealing with.  Because he has already suffered some nerve damage, I would not rule this out as a cause.

Keep in mind, also, that stress can play a big part in hair loss.

Also, allergies are prevalent this time of the year. Many cats will lose hair because they are allergic to fleas, products, the environment....  A low allergy diet might be a good idea. 

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: its not that he is losing hair. he is yanking it out with his teeth. just last night he did it again and this time there is flesh sticking out. he has about 4 patches of holes where he is yanking it out of his skin.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I suggest that you try a remedy that we have used with great success.  We use an anti-anxiety "drug" (all natural) that is called homeopet (www.homeopet.com).

This helps to ease anxiety and to calm the cat.

If this does not help you, you should see your vet to rule out a medical cause for the anxiety.

I hope this helps more!