NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Understanding and Changing Pet Behavior

Customer Question

I adopted a 4-year old Persian cat about two months ago from a cat foster family. After the first three weeks, he became comfortable with me and his new home. I then noticed that he has a habit (or possibly a "need") of mimicking what appears to be a "kitten feeding" type behavior every evening where:
1. he lays perpendicular to me,
2. methodically pushes his two front paws against my stomach, hip, or chest area, and
3. purs himself to sleep.

What can I do to break this habit and, prevent the behavioral agitation I notice when he can't do through his "pretend Mother/Kitten feeding routine"?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Is the cat trying to nurse/suckle? Or do you just see the pawing back and forth?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: The cat POSITIONS himself in the suckle position but does not attempt to do so.

What you are seeing is normal.  We call it "making biscuits" but it is a comfort and loving position and behavior.  I understand that if the claws are scratching you it is annoying, so you will just have to move the cat away from you.  I have a himalayan that does it often, I really don't think there is any behavioral modification you can do to change it...much like purring...it is a happy gesture, and part of owning a cat.

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Because I'm a new pet owner, this behavior weirds me out - I'm basically 'pretend nursing' a cat each evening.

If the cat is extending the arms and kneading your abdomen or body..that is normal. If your cat is placing the mouth on you..then that can be a behavior from being weaned to early...and should be discouraged.

Instead of being upset by it...it is a great sign as a new cat owner!

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you. This helps.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I agree with Dr V this is rather normal behavior for many cats BUT I think there is a way to get around having the cat do it to your body.
I dislike the sensation of being 'kneaded' by prickly cat paws myself so I convinced the cat the right place to do that was against a yard of extremely soft polar fleece purchased at the fabric store instead of against my body.
I rolled the fleece up into a tube and then a circle to make a bed like surround out of it.
I'd gently move the cat over to this other soft yeilding surface, petted it for pushing on the fleece, and eventually convinced it that the fleece was the right place for that behavior.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks. This gives me a plan.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
As your question remains open and you have not yet accepted (paid for)
an answer -- does this mean you are looking for more input?  If
so, can you please provide an idea of what you need.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you want to close the post you can accept answers from one or more of the people who gave you help.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thanks.