NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

displaced aggression

Customer Question

I have three cats, all neutered. A couple times a year, always in summmer, we have incidents of "displaced agression". The normally loving cats turn on each other and even myself. They growl and attack and must be seperated. I fear that if I am not home, they may fight to a death. It is unknown what triggers this and keeping them seperated is difficult. Any advice, and is there a tranquilizer or med. that can help me through these incidents?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You might find the Feliway appeasing hormones will help with this behavior.
If its always the same time of year you might want to consider allergies from pollens or molds that are triggering discomfort which erupts in aggressive behavior.
Or if this is going on at a point in time that feral or free roaming cats are visible from your home's windows as they wander for mating then you might want to consider blocking windows with such a view to keep the cats out of them.
If there is one cat in particular who starts all this then you might try setting up a really big dog crate or a cat cage to keep that one cat apart from the others during this time. Set the crate up with a box, a bed, food and water and let the cat wait out in safety whatever the problem is.
There are medications that can help too but its best to be working with a veterinarian or veterinary behaviorist when using them.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: More info re: feliway appeasing hormones-what are they and how can they be obtained?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Your vet might have it and so might your local pet supply store.
If you go over to www.froogle.com you can find online shopping resources that carry it too by searching on the product name. You can then sort by price etc.
Its supposed to be used for feline territorial marking and clawing issues but is used for other stress related situations in cats too.
This site is one of many that carries it - though I don't know if this is the best price on the product http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/feliwaycategory.php

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you so very much!!
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome! If you found it helpful you can accept my answer!
:)