NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

hip pain

Customer Question

our 8-9 y/o combo shepard collie has been experiencing severe pain when she jumps onto the bed or even gets up too quickly. it seems to be a problem with her back or hind legs. she's normally very playful and goofy but has been VERY subdued and skittish because of this. her vet said that she has a bone that is pressing on a nerve and when she turns a certain way or jumps, it presses the nerve and she yelps and shakes and runs to hide. he's prescribed a prednisone and a pain killer but the pain killer makes her almost comatose. is surgery our only option?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I would ask the vet about the success rate on the surgery.
Usually they suggest keeping dogs quiet while they are using prednisone to try and reduce any problems especially in the back or spine. It reduces inflammation and can help with a slipped disc issue for example.
You might try what some of us with shorter dogs do and put a low stool near the bed so she can get up on it without leaping to do so.
Also you may find if this is hip pain that a supplement like glucosamine chondroitin (products for dogs include Cosequin, Glycoflex, Synflex etc) or even Adequan shots from your vet might help with the pain and joint movement.
Talk to your vet if you are unhappy with the side effects of the current pain killer and see if he or she can recommend another one. Usually more than one drug is available with similar action and dogs like people may react better to one than to another.
Hope this helps!