Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

pekingese: My 1 year..panting..labor, ie her nipples are full

Customer Question

My 1 year old Pekingese won't stop panting. It seems like she is in labor, ie her nipples are full, at times it seems like she's having contractions, but she isn't trying to push. I don't beleive she IS preg. What else could be wrong?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Some female dogs, even if they are not pregnant, will experience what is called a pseudo pregnancy where the body tells the brain that it is pregnant.

No matter what, you need to see the vet tomorrow to find out what's going on.

There are a few diseases, like pyometra, that unspayed females can get that are deadly if left untreated.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your reply. I wanted to, but couldn't financially, take my pup to an emergency animal clinic. I would have taken her to the vet yesterday, since it's been 3 day snow since the "problem" occurred. In the end, she had 1 pup yesterday morning. So, she WAS preg, just never showed the signs since she only had the one. Mommy did the delivery and clean up of pup all by herself, and both are healthy and fine. I did contact my vet yesterday to inform them of the new arrival.
Thank you for your reply.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Congratulations!  What a surprise!  We had a rescue dog do that to us one time.  It was quite a shock.  The vet swore that she was spayed and were quite surprised.

Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you.  This will move your deposit over to my account.