Joann Canafax
Joann Canafax, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Lots of hands on and much studying
143236

head movement..eats well enough when hand-fed, poops okay.

Customer Question

African Fat tailed Gekko. Seems to be having a neurological issue, difficulty contolling head movement, difficulty catching his food, dusky looking skin. eats well enough when hand-fed, poops okay. no herp specialists around here, and no money for diagnostics. "percy" is only 6 years old. What can we do to help him?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
I am assuming your gekko is lethargic? I found this information for you hope this helps
Discoloration: when not associated with stress, breeding season, bruise or shedding, they signal a bacterial or fungal infection, one that may be affecting just the skin, or may be systemic in nature. Both require immediate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Based on the information given your best bet would be to see a vet.

http://www.anapsid.org/lethargy.htm

The Online Medical Dictionary describes lethargy as "Abnormal drowsiness or stupor, a condition of indifference." Lethargy is a very different condition than the quiet-but-alert behavior generally called "stationary alert" by ethologists.

A reptile who has recently eaten, or is entering the pre-shed stage, or got up on the wrong side of the cage, or is sleepy, will still be alert to his surroundings, responsive to stimuli such as loud noises, touch, and pain. A lethargic reptile will not.

While in stationary alert mode, if the eyes were closed during rest, they will open when there has been noise stimulus and some movement at touch, such as the normal moving into your hand when petting him or picking him up to hold him. A lethargic reptile may not open his eyes or may open one eye and close it again (assuming the species has moveable eyelids), and will not be terribly responsive to touch if at all.

Pinch a stationary alert reptile's toe or fold of skin between your thumbnail and middle finger, and you will see just how alert he is; do the same to a lethargic reptile and at most you might get a pulling away of the limb (or body, if a snake).

In a lethargic reptile, visible movement related to normal respiration may be absent because the reptile is breathing so slowly and shallowly; an EKG may be required to determine if there is any heartbeat at all. If a sick reptile has a respiratory infection or other difficult breathing (as may happen after the ingestion of a toxic substance), the bellows-like movement of the rib cage may be more apparent than usual. With toxic ingestion, there may be increased salivation.

Hope this helps!

JoAnn
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: Yes, skin is dusky as if about to molt, however, this is not the main issue. "percy" is not very lethargic, he arouses to stimuli and seems to be breathing without difficulty. Our main concern is the "neurological" sort of behavior. He has difficulty controlling his head movement, trouble catching his live food, as though he sees double. It almost looks like a Parkinson's syndrome. He eats well enough when hand fed, and eliminates appropriately.
There are no herp specialists around here and money is very tight. Is this sort of thing reported often? Is it something that might run its course?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Hi give me a few to do some more research and I will help as best as I can Im sure you are concerned about your gekko and I know its hard to find a herp vet so I will find out what I can for you!
http://www.anapsid.org/signs.html

This website will help you evaluate the possible underlying cause and what you can do to possibly treat it. Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The website you suggested might be helpful. I don't know yet.