Rebekah Haferbecker
Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience:  Caring for animals for over 10 years and shelter volunteer for 2 years.
146273

Good appetite yet weight loss

My cat is 17 years old, lost a lot of teeth, cries constantly for food, eats plenty and is rapdly losing weight. She is just skin and bones, formally a pretty hefty animal.

You should take your cat to the vet immediately. Rapid weight loss and dental problems in older cats can be very serious. You would to take her to the vet ASAP so that if there is aa serious problem you can catch it as early as possible. With older cats it  is best to err on the side of caution.

The tooth loss can be a sign of dental disease. Also, the wieght loss and increased appetite can be a sign of hyperthyroidism. You doctor can accurately diagnose the problem with your cat after running tests and a full exam.

Hope this helps.

Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience: Caring for animals for over 10 years and shelter volunteer for 2 years.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: Thanks Rebekah,
We were doubtful about taking her to the vet because of her age, change in environment etc. But now that you mention the hyperthyroidism, it makes sense.
Her sister is the opposite a mouthful of teeth and healthy weight.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added

Cats have such potentially long life spans that vet visits should be immediate if they become sick but if a diagnoses is severe that is when her age should come into consideration. Surgery and such can be hard on older cats. Hope all goes well with your kitty!

Thanks!!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: I am lost here. I have 4 replies, who's viewing and are there other replies than rebekah?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: I am lost here. There are 5 replies and numerous views. Are there other opnions besides Rebekah? Who's viewing?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks Rebekah.
Remind me to send you chocolate!

HiCustomer

Views mean that myself, yourself and other just answer visitors have read the question. The only replies have been you and I however, for some reason, you have 3 replies that came up blank. Try only hitting the enter button once when replying, otherwise it can cause multiple posts.

P.S. Feel free to send the chocolate.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: Ok I think I got it.