Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Too much shedding

Customer Question

I have a 5yr old spayed Jack Russel. She has gained weight since being spayed (weighs 20 lbs), but she also sheds HORRIBLY! We live in the Pacific NW High Dessert area (hot summers/cold winters). She is free to go in & out of the house (doggy door). A friend thought she might have a thyroid problem because she has gotten so heavy & sheds so badly. Could this be a possibly? We tried "Shed Stop" & it helped some, but not a lot. Any suggestions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Thyroid problems can cause excessive shedding so you will want to see your vet to rule this out.

JRT's are known for their shedding problems.  You can always see the groomer on a regular basis and have him shaved down for the summer.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: So no ill affects to shaving them? Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Nope.  Most dogs enjoy being groomed and love the feeling they get after they have been shaved.  Many people who have dogs who are heavy shedders will choose to shave their dogs year round.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you very much for your help. Have a great day :-)
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 You are very welcome.  Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you.  This will move your deposit over to my account.