NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

cats: one female..few weeks ago they started acting weird..sniffing

Customer Question

I have two cats, one male and one female. They have both been fixed, but a few weeks ago they started acting weird. The male was sniffing the female's private ares and it was making her very mad. She chased him all over the house. This is not usual behavior for my cats. Well, yesterday one of the cats (not sure which) peed in the floor, the female cat was making a moaning sound as she was standing over the urine. The male cat was in the other room. Later one of them peed in the floor again and she was doing the same thing, but this time they were face to face and she was moaning. I need to know why all of a sudden her behavior has changed? She is also hissing at us when she is in this frame of mind. Thanks!
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If she is not spayed then likely she is coming into heat. Urine contains pheromones used to attract a mate. Cats also moan to call a mate - its a specific calling noise used mostly for that purpose.
Alternatively if she is spayed she may have a urinary tract infection which will cause changes to the odor of her urine (attracting the male's interest in sniffing her) and it will also cause her to suddenly need to 'go' no matter where she is.Urinating when there is a urinary tract infection is painful which would account for the moaning.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for your advice. I was wondering if this would make her hiss at us? She gets very angry and acts like she wants to attack the other cat. When she acts this way, it scares me. Anything else I can do for her? I plan on taking her to the vet asap.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes this could make her irritable with the world if she is sick.
And if she is in season and not ready to breed she is apt to be irritable about any male attention or any handling.
You might want to put her in a room set up with all the comforts such as litterbox, food and water etc. so she can be by herself while she isn't feeling well.