NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

EAR INFECTION IN MY PITT

Customer Question

MY RED-NOSE PIT HAS AN EXTREME INFECTION IN HIS EAR, IT IS SWOLLEN TO WHERE IT DOES'NT EVEN FLOP WHEN HE RUNS. HE WON'T LEAVE IT ALONE AND IT SEEMS EXTREMELY PAINFUL, I HAVE CLEANED IT SEVERAL TIMES DAILY, AND TREATED IT WITH PEROXIDE AND NEOSPORIN, BUT HAS WORSENED OVER THE LAST 24 HOURS
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This sounds like the ear infection may have caused an ear flap hematoma. Its rather like a giant swollen blood blister and the displacement of the tissue is painful.
When dogs scratch at infected ears the ear flap can get a blood vessel popped and this causes swelling. If this is not properly drained and sutured it will slowly go down but will likely crinkle and scar.
If this is not from an inner ear infection such as ear mites or yeast but is rather from an injury the same thing might have happened in response to the itch or irritation from the area healing.
Your dog may need a systemic antibiotic, a surgical fix to the ear flap to resolve the hematoma, or just a no scratch collar (Elizabethan type or 'lampshade' collar) to keep his feet away from the ear while its treated.
Sometimes what is done is the ear is taped up over the top of the head or under the chin after the swelling is drained and the ear sutured.
That way the dog can't shake it and cause more drainage into the injured area.
If neosporin and peroxide isn't working then the best bet I think is to get some veterinary help in treating this.
For temporary relief you can use a cold compress on the ear to help reduce swelling and to reduce pain in the area short term. I'd suggest a warm compress to aid draining of infection but I'm afraid that would cause more swelling as more blood came into the warmed area and drained in to the damaged part.
Hope this helps!