Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

schnauzer: has developed in the last couple of weeks..breathing

Customer Question

I noticed that our female schnauzer has developed in the last couple of weeks two very large lumps on either side of her throat, and one in one of her teets. The throat lumps seem to be affecting her voice/breathing somewhat. Is this most probably cancer?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 How old is your dog?
Please check behind her knees (rear legs) and see if you feel enlarged lumps there too?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Lexi is young, 4 years old. I have just checked her hind legs and didn't notice anything unusual.
 Aside from the vocal changes, have you seen anything else?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I have done some other online research and I am wondering if this is lymphoma (sp?). If that is the case, and She is in a stage 2 or stage 3 cancer, how long would she have timewise without painful treatments, which I am not sure I would want to put her through?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
She seems to be okay, maybe a little bit less spirited than usual.

When we see lumps or swellings around the neck, they are usually the lymphnodes.  There are lymphnodes thru out the body but there are several things to consider before you jump to cancer...lymphosarcoma being the most common.

You have a young, small breed dog...and this is not a common age for this presentation.

The vet needs to do an aspiration of these lumps to diagnose...but there are several fungal infections that do this, tick borne disease that do this and immune mediated diseases that do this...so please see a vet before you get too stressed out.

Systemic bacterial infections, mouth abscesses, etc. can do this.

I really feel it is entirely too premature to discuss cancer options...but lymphosarcoma usually respond very well to chemo with minor side effects.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
As i am feeling her lumps again, they are quite large and it feels as if each lump is actually 2 lumps, about the size of 2quarters each lump.

Can you call your vet and have her checked today??

There are salivary glands and lymphnodes that can be lobular, but a vet needs to check her.

Dr.V